Wide feet re-visited [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wide feet re-visited

Conservator
03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I sure am glad I found this forum. I am in need of stream type wading boots. My feet are wide, and I will be hiking across tunda (1 km or so, up hills) as well as wading in rocky streams. In 2004 someone mentioned Simms was coming out with studded Aquastealths. Did that ever happen? I was on their web site and did not find them. Other suggestion? I'd really like lug soals for the hike, and studs to keep from slipping when I get to the water. I suppose I could wear hiking boot and swithch, but don't care for any added gear. I looked at Corkers, but am unsure of the wide thing, and not sure of how well the multi-sole thing works. Thanks.

teflon_jones
03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
My feet are 14W and I use Orvis Henry's Fork wading shoes. Mine aren't studded, but they do come studded. They're actually on sale right now on their website for $89. I think I have a size 14 and they fit my stockingfoot waders in them fine.

Jere Eshelman
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Yes they are available, got mine a few months ago. Haven't been in the water yet with them.

Conservator
03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes they are available, got mine a few months ago. Haven't been in the water yet with them.

I went to Orvis.com and all they had were Henry's Fork II's, mat 129.00 for studded. They may be all sold out. On the HR I's, you guys that have them, how is the ankle support, soft like a glove or stiff like a ski boot?

zugbugz
03-30-2006, 09:57 PM
You want wide???? Gotta go with the Simms Riverteks...EEEE width and sizes to 15. Price is $99.99 for unstudded and $129.99 with studs. Awesome speedlacing system. One caveat...HEAVY! Also, I agree with Teflon about the Henry's Forks (at least last year's models). I have a pair of studded HF's from last year. Mine are size 15 (I wear a 13/14 street shoe) and they have plenty of room. I have not only wide feet but a very high instep to boot (no pun intended!). The bonus is they are much lighter than the Riverteks (but not as wide). I would say the lateral support is somewhere in the middle, not too soft, not too stiff. I like them a lot! :biggrin:

My 0.02

Zugbugz - Arizona

teflon_jones
03-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I went to Orvis.com and all they had were Henry's Fork II's, mat 129.00 for studded. They may be all sold out. On the HR I's, you guys that have them, how is the ankle support, soft like a glove or stiff like a ski boot?
I didn't check the availability before posting, but checking now it looks like the Henry's Fork Premium is sold out except in 15. I don't know what size you're looking for...

Conservator
03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the posts. I will be doing a LOT of hiking for about a month straight (every day) in and out of water. I think I will need the comfort of a hiker, preferably with a lug-like sole, felt bottoms seem to be pretty stiff, and hard to walk in. Then, I will be on the rocky river bottom for a month, day in day out, and need something that sticks. Thas why I was hoping for something with aquastealth and the option on studs. Thought that would do double-duty. Or maybe Korkers, but I don't know how well they hold up, or how wide thay are. I guess I could by studded over-shoe sandels. I usually take a size 10.5, and seems like I need to buy a size bigger, 12's I would guess. Maybe I need 2 pairs?:Eyecrazy:

cosmo
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm using LL Bean's Rivertreads (had a gift certificate). They're based on hiking boots, firm, supportive, and have aquastealth soles (studded also available). I hike and fish in them and like them a lot. May be limited in width choices, though. If you're hiking and fishing you can't beat aquastealth.