CT River holdovers getting more and more active [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: CT River holdovers getting more and more active

Dble Haul
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Recent reports have schoolie bass activity really picking up in the CT River, almost all the way up to Hartford. I just might have to get in on some of that, especially since I've never taken a flyrod striper in March. :lildevl: :smokin:

Regardless, give it another month and things will be in full swing down here anyway. I'm itchin' really bad......:)

Adrian
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
That's good to hear, especially if it takes some pressure of some other better known early season hot spots.

I'm planning on hitting the Hudson this week-end by Kayak for my season opener.

Rip Ryder
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I was in Belhaven NC this past weekend to meet with the Coast Guard on the new boat, and I stayed at a B&B at the local marina. Much to my surprise Sunday evening at dusk a school of stripers came into the break wall and started slamming on some pogies. Fun to watch, but hard not having a way of getting in on the action. Talked to one of the local gentlemen and he said it has been nuts the last month with the warmer weather coming back. He said, "their fueling up and heading for you boy" Got to love the southern accent.

Never mind just the fish, but it was also nice to feel 65' weather while I was there.

Capt Keith

jimS
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Keith, hope things are going well with das boat. Based on its size, lets plan a trip to the rip off Horshoe Shoals before the wind farm gets going. Looking forward to the new boat, as well as you. I'm looking forward to the changes this year, and the challenge.

Rip Ryder
03-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi Jim,

Heading back down to the boat on April 2 with my local fiberglass man. Need to get some measurements, so we can start the new seats before the boat arrives.
CHANGES and CHALLENGES, that should sum up the title for this year. Will try and get out in the next couple of weeks with the Feds to see what is going on out there. Word from the clammers is the opening is only passable right at Hightide and even then it is very skinny.

Looking forward to see you and everyone soon.

Capt Keith

Rip Ryder
03-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Read on thehulltruth.com today that New York waters, New York Bight, are showing some movement of bunker.