MA trout river recommendations? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MA trout river recommendations?

vinnyf
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Any hints would be appreciated. I don't need to know the locations of your secret spots, just a rough idea of an area where I can park and wander around a nice, quiet river for a few hours. Fish would be a bonus :)

Thanks,

Vinny.

BigDave
03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Trout Unlimited just updated their book "Anglers Guide to Trout Fishing in Massachusetts". If you are new to the area and looking for access, hatch info, etc, it is worth it's weight in gold. It covers just about every MA river and trout pond in detail. Any fly shop should have it or you can order it from the Boston Chapter's website www.gbtu.org

My copy has lived in my truck for many years and I still look at it when I'm in new area's.

juro
03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Deerfield, Westfield, Millers, Nissitissit, Swift of course, seasonally the Squanacook. Merrimack is also another good smallmouth fishery in MA with some decent trout up in NH.

Just over the border the upper Souhegan has some nice fishing spring and fall, and the upper Pemigewassett in Bristol is some of the nicest water short of Canada and you can expect big trout and big smallmouth bass as well as the occasional atlantic salmon brood fish.

Stripers can be found in almost any tidal river by May and linger through October / November.

John Desjardins
03-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I'll second the TU book. Its a good resource.

vinnyf
03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like there's hope.

I might go and check out one or two of the rivers Juro mentioned this weekend, and I'll order the book tomorrow that John and Dave recommended.

In other news, the wife-to-be has agreed that the fly-rod can come along on our honeymoon to Ireland in June. I promised it would just be for one day. Heh heh heh.