Steelhead Fly of the week – Purple Brat [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Purple Brat

Charlie
03-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Since last weeks fly seemed to be so well received, I decided to follow up with this variation of the fly that Beau Purvis mentioned. As he said, Dave McNeese invented the fly, and many other good flies that have become northwest standards. McNeese owned a fly shop in Salem, Oregon and is considered one of the more influential tiers in recent times.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat gold tinsel and fluorescent orange floss.
Tail: Golden pheasant crest dyed orange.
Rib: Flat gold tinsel.
Body: Rear two-fifths: orange seal fur, Front three-fifths: Purple seal fur.
Collar: Purple hackle
Wing: White over purple hair.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.

Charlie.

juro
03-21-2006, 02:42 PM
That's a killer fly in more ways than one.

How do you color the head cement -or- do you buy a variety of colors?

Charlie
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Juro,

It is clear Cellire head cement. On this fly I used purple thread and that is probably the color you are seeing.

Charlie.

Salar 33
03-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Charlie,

The smoothness of the head on your flies is just wonderful. The one you sent me is perfect. How many coats do you use?

C.R.O.

Charlie
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
C.R.O.

I only use 2 or 3 coats. I do like to let them dry for a full day before applying the next coat.

Charlie

P.S. How’s that new J.C. neck working out for you?

Salar 33
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Dear Charlie,

Too nice to use for fishing. But the flies look so good I can't help myself. A great find in these hard times for quality materials.

C.R.O.

flytyer
03-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Charlie,

I always like to see your work because it is always so well executed. This is one of the many fine flies from McNeese and he named it the Purple Brat simply because it is nothing more than a variation of Bradnor's original fly.

Igor
03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Charlie,

Another beautiful dressing.

FT,

Have you ever considered going after Ron Fairly's job? *g*

Igor