Ice out on your river? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ice out on your river?

Charlie
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Spring is on the way and the season is coming up fast. Soon the Ice will be melting and the Spring Kelt fishing will be starting in Atlantic Canada. I was wondering when people are predicting Ice out for there rivers? :confused:

Charlie

link
03-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Ice went out about two weeks ago here on Idaho's upper Salmon River. It was frozen from shore to shore for about twenty miles this winter. It was very entertaining to watch the sheets and blocks of ice enter the rapids and explode on the boulders, also very loud noise. Now some sections of river are corridors bordered by shore ice eight feet high, it's beautiful but rather eerie to row through. In some places you'd need crampons and ice axes to climb out.

link

Green Ghost
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
The ice is indeed out, the water levels are lower than normal but the Season Opens on April 15th. There is high anticipation of the first casts in pursuit of Salar.
:) the secret weapon is anxious to go fishing!:cool:

Here is the report from another site I read

April 10 2006

Atlantic Salmon fishing on the Miramichi at McNamee is set to go . The ice is
out and the river is about normal for the weather . Some ice is hanging on along
the high banks There is very little snow locally but the headwaters areas still have
considerable amounts so we don't want warm weather yet .The water is not too
high yet so with cooler temps and no heavy rain we should be in for fantastic
fishing in just 5 days .

QuebecSporting
04-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Bonjour Gentlemen,

Here is the St-Jean this morning..

http://www.QuebecSporting.com/images/St_Jean_2006.JPG

(could not go any further with my Toyota...) :frown:

Ann

Happy Easter!! :D

Green Ghost
04-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Cabin fever is Over!! Spring fishing on the Miramichi was superior and the weather was about as cold, windy and wet as it can be on April 15 to 17th. My partner and I landed 95 fish in 22 hours of fishing (we lost or picked many others). All fish were healthy, thick and strong and were released in great shape to return to the ocean. Will post a picture or two once developed. Tight lines to all this season!:smokin: