Angie the fishing goddess [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Angie the fishing goddess

chromedome
03-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Been having a very entertaining exchange of emails with Angie and just now noticed that the "Angie and WSC" thread was closed. I am puzzled as to why it is closed. I can appreciate that she's probably not for everyone - Ha Ha, but is that essentially why the thread was closed???

OC
03-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm puzzled too. Seems we are comming to a cross roads here on flytalk.:confused:

juro
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't know why someone closed it but I entrust the Moderators to take actions for the good of the overall site. I am running around this morning but if you'd like to discuss the matter offline OC let me know I will gladly do so, I will call again if you want to chew the fat on it.

I believe it was closed by one of the mods because it got into a very sensitive issue with one of the members who has suffered an unthinkable family loss and the thread moved away from the spotlight on the 'goddess' (whom I have never had a problem with, Hi Angie) and into a spate about detecting and reacting to family members at a time of need.

Don't misinterpret this action by a Moderator as anything more than it is, which frankly I am not 100% clear on.

There is a lot more than Angie talk going on in the personal lives of the people behind the nicknames, I believe a mod took action to prevent these things from taking the thread away. This action might be viewed as responsible and necessary if one really read between the lines, I don't know at this point. However lets not make a political statement out of it, it's a thread closed for reasons having nothing to do with Angie.

Hey chromedome, OC - why don't you start a new Angie thread and we'll try to keep it on topic. She talks about a well-tied butt section a lot on her site :lildevl:

KerryS
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=juro]

I believe it was closed by one of the mods because it got into a very sensitive issue with one of the members who has suffered an unthinkable family loss and the thread moved away from the spotlight on the 'goddess' (whom I have never had a problem with, Hi Angie) and into a spate about detecting and reacting to family members at a time of need.

QUOTE]

Not that I care much, but as a participant in the "angie" thread I am a bit curious as to why it was closed also. I went back and re-read the entire thread. I could find no mention anywhere of "an unthinkable family loss".:confused:

juro
03-16-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm with you Kerry I don't care much about this either but if people want to have a positive influence and direct things in a public forum there are Moderator spots open. It's a lot of responsiblity but we could use them. The expectations are high and everything you do is questioned. It's a lot different to be on one side than the other.

Moving on, let's start a new Angie thread for those who are jonesin to discuss her.

KerryS
03-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Juro,

Not sure how you got from where I couldn't find any mention of a family loss in the thread to making a positive impact by being a moderator and all of the negatives associated with that positive impact. Huh?

I was not questioning the mod's decision on closing the thread. I was questioning where in the thread was the unthinkable family loss part you mentioned as the cause for locking the thread. I trust that whatever the reason the moderators had were fine but I was a little curious.

juro
03-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Sorry Kerry, I rolled up your reply into the overall reaction to a moderators decision to close the thread. I dont even know who closed it at this point... but I am not sure I care. If youre just curious n/p I will fill you in but offline.

What I meant to say, and probably failed miserably to convey was that if people are going to give their time and effort to help out as mods I am prone to respect their decision to close a thread even if the audience disapproves. I was also trying to say mods are often having to defend what they do from the general readership even if they are acting in the best interest.

Anyway I understand your curiosity and will PM you the inside scoop when I hear back from the mods whom I have asked about it. Some of it should be best left off the public record. You can trust me on that, or spite me and the mods - that's your choice. But I will fill you in since you are curious.

For now how about getting back to a FLYFISHING website everyone?

OC
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Guys the thread should be closed. It is not being closed because of Angie but respect for one of our guys here on flytalk. Most of us have been here for a long time and have become good friends so I respect the reason one of our very best flyfishers here had concerns about Angie. I know our friend really cares about Angie so let's just drop it. And angie we may not agree with you often but most of us admire your spunk and are glad you care about the fish!

Philster
03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I gotta tell you, just from reading her stuff, she sounds like almost every fishing guy I knew when I was coming up in my teens and twenties! Big brass ones and an even bigger mouth:D Nobody else here matched that description at some time in their lives? Meeting her in person may be a different experience, but from her site, there's certainly room for her on "my" rivers...

Feiger
03-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Amen to that Philster... It's an interesting response by some that I can only attribute to the fact that she's a woman. There are men in out there as "out there" and in your face as she is, if not more so, but w/ a few exceptions, don't seem to get any "attention" they may or may not deserve.. As someone said, at least she gives a damn....