Center Pin’s – The tool of the Devil? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Center Pin’s – The tool of the Devil?

LONGBELLY
03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I was out fishing the other day and ran into a few clown’s using these things and I have come to realize that if you put one of them in a guy’s hand it turns him into an instant jerk! If you run into someone with a fly rod, spey rod, spinning rod or even a bait caster you have a 50-50 chance that he will be a jerk. But with a center pin it is a forgone conclusion. If you see a fisher coming with one of them rest assured he ‘will’ cast in front of you. So what is it with these guys that makes them so rude?

Sorry about the rant. I thought it had to be said.

Longbelly.

silverbullet
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Longbelly,
I flyfish here in Ohio tribs and find that not all pinners are like that. I would say that more fly guys encroach than pinners. The guys here(that i see or know) are very considerate. I have actually piocked up a few things from them when indi fishing. I love it when they see me running drifts into my backing darn near as long as they are. I admit, theres always the bad apples out there.

Jeff

FrenchCreek
03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey Silverbullet!
Not bad for your first post on this Board! We do try to encourage positive debate on issues but we certainly do not need Flaming! Perhaps you can challenge your views and get others' views in a manner that does not inflame a debate but does cause an active discussion!
Just my $0.01 1/4 Cdn Funds to boot

chromedome
03-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I can't see how silverbullet's post was all that inflammatory. I do know of one fly fisherman that cut me off twice now, and pin fishermen a few times. But overall, I haven't had that much complaint on etiquette from either camp. I fish jigs with a pin a lot and like this method a great deal and make no apologies. I do this mainly because some productive stretches I like are difficult to fish with a fly. I am bothered, however, by some pin fishermen who don't seem content unless they've had double digit days.:)

Charlie
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Someone with a Center-Pin obviously did this gentleman a dirty. And I’m sure most of us have had it happen at one time or another. Regardless of the method of fishing, I think it is better to try and educate them first. Nine times out of ten they are newbies or people who are not familiar with the area and don’t know any better. If this fails I tie on a piece of 21lb tippet, the biggest fly I have and jerk the bobber off the end of their line. They hate that. :lildevl:

Charlie.

JimW
03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Please enlighten me.
What the heck is a centerpin?
Second question -
Can I use it to catch Tuna?:hihi:

Begbie
03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Please enlighten me.
Second question -
Can I use it to catch Tuna?

Probably not, but the guys using them would make for some good chum.....

Charlie
03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Jim,

A Center-pin is a type of reel that looks similar to a large arbor fly reel with no drag (exposed rim for palming) and extremely smooth bearings. It is usually loaded with very light mono and used in conjunction with a noodle rod to bait fish for steelhead with a bobber.

It is actually an extremely affective way to catch fish, but many would question the ethical considerations in its use.
Probably not, but the guys using them would make for some good chum..... :hihi:

Charlie.

P.S. A 5 pound Tuna would turn one to dust. :eek:

silverbullet
03-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Can I get some help here...I sure didnt mean to come out here and offend anyone.
I was just trying to get across that not all of one type of person will reflect the action you may see from another. I will agree too, education is priceless.

Jeff

Greg Pavlov
03-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Can I get some help here...I sure didnt mean to come out here and offend anyone.
Jeff

If you criticize a fly fisherman, you will get a reaction, regardless of how
right you may have been.

I agree with you: there is usually no inherent moral stature achieved from
one's choice of toys to fish with.

chromedome
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Please enlighten me.
Second question -
Can I use it to catch Tuna?:hihi:

If you do a google.com and search under "center pin reel" you'll get an education on the subject

andre
03-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Bullet, I think FC miss took you for long belly who needs to crawl back under his troll bridge. Check his number of posts 1 nuf said

juro
03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Around the world, across mankind it's fair to say that the average fly fisher does make a conscious effort to be courteous to their fellow anglers. I'd venture more so than the average across other angler types, with exceptions in every direction of course.

For instance:

- Rotation through a pool
- Distance from the next angler
- Wading across other's water

Therefore it seems only natural to me that on a 100% flyfishing website as this an occasional editorial may appear with some ire about those who feel 100 yards is theirs to cover from one rock, especially when they do not move from that rock.

I think thats to be expected on a flyfishing website. However nothing could be more true than the point made about exceptions in every angling style. I have seen flyfishers whom I would not wish to be associated with and some of my greatest angling mentors are non-flyfishers. If it doesn't hurt the fish and it's legal then it's good fishing. We're never going to see eye to eye completely across the whole spectrum.

As far as hurting the fish... I wish we'd outlaw bait fishing without circle hooks.

Rob Estlund
03-17-2006, 05:49 PM
It is actually an extremely affective way to catch fish, but many would question the ethical considerations in its use.

What exactly are the "ethical concerns" of using a centerpin reel?

juro
03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Ethical as in "to each his own".

Let's all agree to disagree, but keep in mind that these kinds of things may come up in a flyfishing site just as they might get on the fly guys on hardcore gear sites.

This will always be a hardcore fly site.

Adrian
03-17-2006, 08:39 PM
All reels have pins in the center - spin reels, multipliers, etc. otherwise they wouldn't rotate. I guess the alternative would be a 'cam reel' and I don't think I would fish with one.

We share our planet and we take the rough with the smooth. Unacceptabable behavior should be 'called'. Unfortunately many folks choose not to since the consequences could be unpleasant to say the least.

That said, we need to be careful about over-generalizing.

It's too easy to type-cast a person based upon some observable feature - prefered type of fishing tackle, accent, hair color, eye color etc, etc,... :tsk_tsk:

first-fish
03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
OK I have to ask This is the second time in two day I have read that cricle hooks are better for catch and release. Why is this?[

juro
03-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Circle hooks are better for bait because they dont impale the throats of fish. They only stick in the lip even when completely swallowed.

Therefore for bait fishing, circle hooks are the best approach. I think they should be required to fish bait.

It's not really about catch and release so much as survival of the fish.

fredaevans
03-19-2006, 02:17 PM
In 10 years of fishing the Rogue I've yet to see a center pin reel in anyone's hands. Even 'noodle rods' are very rare; a good thing. What is very common is folks using spin casting rods/reels/floats ... but 90+% of the time they're actually running flys under the float.

The good ones? God are they GOOD at hooking fish. 'Hooking fish,' Mr. Dead Drift is thy name.'

Charlie
03-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Rob,

When I was talking about ethical considerations, I was referring to there use of extremely light line. These guys never use line heavier than 6lb. test, and in most cases they go lighter, 4lb. and even 2lb. to get their long drag free drifts. I have watched many of them play fish until they are passed exhausted only to lose them at the end or land them and quickly kick them back in the water to float down stream belly up. :frown:

Charlie

Rob Estlund
03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for replying Charlie. Using light line is an ethical concern, but is not limited to float fishermen.

Nice flies BTW.

Charlie
03-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Very true Rob,

And thanks glad you like them.

Charlie.

DPG
03-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey guys, my name is Dave, and I am the moderator of the Sander's Fishing Guides website. We have had similar conversations on the Sander's BB about the different techniques, and it seemed to breed nothing but resentment between those of us who use different methods of catching Great Lakes Steelhead. IMHO, it's not a question of technique, but stream-side manners. I have had people who use all of the different methods come up and fish right on top of me when there is no-one else around, and plenty of other water to fish. On the other hand, I have had people who use all the different techniques come up to me on the stream, and they are very polite. It's a tough topic, how do you approach someone on the stream that has been rude to you, and talk to him about ettiquite(spelling)?????? It's not always a pretty site! People don't want to be told that there is a better way, they get angry with you, and argue pointlessly!!! I don't know, I get upset just thinking of some of the encounters that I've had on the stream-side!

Youngpatawan
03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
What's up guys,

It's halarious to hear about this topic being brought up. It's funny cause I haven't heard anyone bashing on spin fisherman. Gee wonder why. I think that the floatboys really don't have any manners and aren't concerened about the issues that we get involved with. As a good friend of mine once said, "I used to fish with bait for sunfish when I was 4, then I grew up and bought a big boy rod." These float guys have no manners with there setups one bit. They'll argue the fact that they are ethical when they fish, but the truth is, it's just a bunch of sunshine being blown up your a**.

flyking
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
i don't like to talk about it because i'm scarred for life but one day i came around the corner and saw this float fisherman and by god he was devouring a small child. the monster even asked me if i wanted any but of course i fainted. when i came to i saw the banks were littered with gutted trout and timmy's cups. those people are monsters.......

shotgunner
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
flyking, nicely worded first post! to much B.S. going around for my delicate constitution lately..... not just here either, the great "indi" debate has risen from the dead again....LOL...

youngpatawan, its that kinda thinking that drives me deeper into the brush and further up headwaters every season. SG

chromer
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
People aught to fish any way they want to inside the law. Some like to fly fish myself included. Some seem to get iratated when anyone else is really dedicated to the ways of the fly. Fish any ol' way you want but this is a fly fishing site!