Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week - Gaspey Highlander [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week - Gaspey Highlander

Charlie
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
The Flyfishing Forum’s own Brian “Salar-1” Sturrock of Quebec originated this fly as well as several others that have since become Gaspe standards. Brian has extensive knowledge of the Gaspe’s many rivers as well as those of Quebec’s north shore. He can truly be considered a local expert.

Hook: Up eye salmon.
Tag: fine oval silver tinsel.
Tail: Golden Pheasant crest & red hackle fibers.
Butt: Black ostrich herl.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: rear 1/3 yellow silk floss; front 2/3 green seal type dubbing.
Hackle: Fluorescent green dyed teal, striped on one side.
Throat: yellow hackle.
Underwing: GP tippet in strands.
Wing: Brown mallard duck.
Head: Black.

Charlie

sean
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Sweet fly Charlie. As someone who might be venturing into salmon fishing full time could you describe the conditions you fish these patterns in? Would be a great learning experience I think for all.

-sean

Salar 33
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Great fly Brian, and a great tie Charlie. I will be sure to give it a try on Glenn Emma in June.

C.R.O.

Charlie
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Sean,

I like to fish these spey style flies in slower water and low water for Atlantics. I think the action derived from the longer hackles helps in getting the fishes attention. When doing so I will often cast directly across stream instead of down and across, this gives me a faster swing that can trigger a strike from an otherwise indifferent fish.

Charlie.

Isgrigg
03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
That is a nice looking pattern ... I will be trying to tie a few of those up.

Stephen