Vieques bones? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vieques bones?

thadnowak
03-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Heading to Vieques next weekend. Anyone out there fished here before? From my research on the computer, it looks like there are a lot of opportunities for the shorebound do-it-yourselfer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

juro
03-13-2006, 06:40 AM
That archipelago seems to be a sharply sloped volcanic chain as opposed to coral outcroppings from ancient seas like the Bahamas. I will be going to St.Kitts just to the south and although I will pack a travel rod I am not expecting to find many bonefish. Cuda usually abound, jacks, and needlefish and gar are everywhere. The offshore fishery has wahoo, sails, mahi mahi and big cuda around wrecks etc but inshore DIY is probably cuda, jacks and the occasional shot at small groups or single bones and these only in spots where broad shallow shorelines occur (rarely).

Vieques seems to have more of these spots than most in the VI.

Good luck and leave a report on return!

SteelBoneguy
03-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Juro,

Just got back from St. Kitts.

Had a fabulous time. You need to look into some lagoons. There is some behind Marriott, and like a couple of miles down another lagoon. I didn't explore very much as the lagoons at the Marriott had good numbers of baby tarpon, lady fish, and snook. The snook are the hardest to get to bite. The tarpon cruise the outter edge of the lagoons and with a proper presented fly hammer it. I caught 10 tarpon, size wise from 10lbs to 30lbs, losing one I est. to be 40s. SOOO much fun. The fight like crazy at first great jumps but b/c of the lagoon system low O2 tire more quickly than if they were in the ocean. Chrt light weighted clousers worked the best. They like the fly worked slowly. Decievers also were a great fly.

Steelboneguy

juro
03-14-2006, 07:54 AM
WOW

You really, truly just MADE MY DAY :D :D :smokin:

SteelBoneguy
03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
I want a report now, when you get back!! :hihi:

juro
03-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Underwater video too. :smokin:

More questions to come, have to get to a meeting

juro
03-27-2006, 09:30 AM
OK let's talk :)

Did you bring a 10wt? I am thinking of packing a 9wt or 8wt.

Any oceanic bones along the outer beaches? Probably won't be able to pull away from the tarpon in the lagoons.

How wadeable? Are the lagoons gnarly to walk around or land fish?

Tell me more - any pics?

(yes I will post a complete report)

Juro,

Just got back from St. Kitts.

Had a fabulous time. You need to look into some lagoons. There is some behind Marriott, and like a couple of miles down another lagoon. I didn't explore very much as the lagoons at the Marriott had good numbers of baby tarpon, lady fish, and snook. The snook are the hardest to get to bite. The tarpon cruise the outter edge of the lagoons and with a proper presented fly hammer it. I caught 10 tarpon, size wise from 10lbs to 30lbs, losing one I est. to be 40s. SOOO much fun. The fight like crazy at first great jumps but b/c of the lagoon system low O2 tire more quickly than if they were in the ocean. Chrt light weighted clousers worked the best. They like the fly worked slowly. Decievers also were a great fly.

Steelboneguy

thadnowak
03-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Vieques showed me the bones; tarpon as well. However, they were not in an eating mood. Green beach was beautiful and I had 3 shots at tarpon, 5 at bonefish, in the last 1.5 hours of a falling tide. Unfortunately, the windward side was where the fish were. I was just excited to be able to find them in a place that was unfamiliar, without a guide, and get the fly to them. Biscayne bay in two weeks!