Forum Virtual Library [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Forum Virtual Library

Smcdermott
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Is there an interest in starting a FFF virtual library? We all probably have shelves full of books we would like to keep for the long term but probably wouldn't mind loaning out to a fellow forum member for a few weeks/months. Obviously their is the risk that someone might not return it so I probably wouldn’t put my copy of Kaufman's Bonefishing up for loan but I have a host of titles that I wouldn't mind letting out of my sight. Nice way to help someone get started or prepare for their fist trip to the tropics.

Sean

griz
03-11-2006, 07:35 PM
that's a cool idea in theory.

I think the reality would be a bit frustrating though. I've found the less you know someone the less likely they will return a borrowed book. Sad but true. Also, I would not want to deal with someone online who I was having trouble getting the book back from, as well. Just not worth the headache. Plus, with amazon's used books you can just buy books ridiculously cheap too these days...for example: .89 cents for several copies of Sex,Death and Fly Fishing by J.G. there right now.

Over the years, I've probably lost $250 in guide books being nice to people I don't know that well. I've got shelves full of guide books and fly fishing literature but it now only goes out to a very tight circle of friends.

Anyway, good luck with the idea but realize you will probably eventually lose every book you are willing to lend(and maybe some online friendships too).

The only thing that would help would be deposits paid via paypal and refunded when the books are returned. That way at least you would get money back to buy a new book if they ended up being a putz. Kind of sounds like allot of hassle though.

Smcdermott
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Griz,

Its funny but I would actually be much more likely to return a book back on time if I don't know you. I guess that's why I thought this idea might work but I definitely see your point and is why I would never put up something I wasn't willing to lose. My thinking is that fly swaps generally work and I thought this was a similar concept if done right. Maybe it would work better if it was a give to get situation.

Sean

Eric
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Griz's points about returning books and the low cost of books are well taken.

Maybe we could just put up a sticky list on each board of recommended books, along with a short description and endorsment.

Also, we might also chime in with a black list of books to avoid.

My .02,

-- Eric

juro
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
I like the idea and it could be extended to DVDs. We could either start a central library or do a swap thing.

A simple deposit (refundable) would suffice to secure the transaction, paypal or we could use the secure transaction features of the server that are not used fo CC deposits.