i need some advice! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: i need some advice!

natty
03-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I am new to fly fishing and don't understand much about the types of flies. Can someone please tell me if all caddis patterns float, also do hoppers float?

Thanks alot,
Natty

desertsportsman
03-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Well some caddis float and some, pupa sink. Most hoppers float but do better with a floatant.

griz
03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
There are 3 types of flies:

Streamer patterns. These imitate a small fish or fry swimming below the surface and does not relate to your question.

Nymph patterns. These imitate wingless bugs that are still living below the surface in a river or lake. The caddis begins it's life cycle living on the river bed in the river. When it is ready for its next phase of life,it hatches and will head to the surface and fly away. You will not readily see these wingless bugs unless you pick up rocks in the streambed. These patterns are fished below the surface.

Dry Flies: These patterns immitate a flying bug or something that lives on the surface of the water or ground. These are the bugs you see flying around or crawling,hopping around through the day. A grasshopper is a fine example. The caddis gets its wings on the surface in its last stage of life and would be a dry fly at this point. Dry flies are fished on top of the water.

Hope this helps.

natty
03-11-2006, 02:30 PM
There are 3 types of flies:

Streamer patterns. These imitate a small fish or fry swimming below the surface and does not relate to your question.

Nymph patterns. These imitate wingless bugs that are still living below the surface in a river or lake. The caddis begins it's life cycle living on the river bed in the river. When it is ready for its next phase of life,it hatches and will head to the surface and fly away. You will not readily see these wingless bugs unless you pick up rocks in the streambed. These patterns are fished below the surface.

Dry Flies: These patterns immitate a flying bug or something that lives on the surface of the water or ground. These are the bugs you see flying around or crawling,hopping around through the day. A grasshopper is a fine example. The caddis gets its wings on the surface in its last stage of life and would be a dry fly at this point. Dry flies are fished on top of the water.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that advice is great :)

griz
03-11-2006, 03:06 PM
here is a good graphic of the different stages of a caddis...

http://www.islandnet.com/~bilston/caddis_life_cycle%20a.jpg

good luck.

Hawkeye
03-12-2006, 07:02 AM
You will find that different drys float differently in the water, either high or low or somewhere in between. A Wulff type will generally float high in the water and a spinner - a dying or dead fly after laying eggs - with float low in the water sometimes being barely held up by the surface water tension.