1st cast of '06 tomorrow? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 1st cast of '06 tomorrow?

Quentin
03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't think I'll make it to the Wilmington show tomorrow so I'm hoping to get out and take my first casts of 2006 :cool: . Anyone else planning to hit the water?

Q

worstcaster
03-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Hoping to hit the year round section of the Willowemoc. The weather has been in the 50's around here the last two days.

Adrian
03-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, as I walked around Manhattan with no overcoat today it was "balmy"

If not for Wilmington I would be fishng this w/e.

Reports pleeeeeeeeze :D

teflon_jones
03-11-2006, 05:33 AM
My wife and daughter are both sick so I'll be at home playing doctor. :(

worstcaster
03-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I got called into work tomorrow. :frown:

Wee Hooker
03-12-2006, 07:19 AM
OK Q, you need to report out now to make us all green. There are those of us who had to hit teh "hony do" list yesterday too :tongue:

Quentin
03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, most of the lakes are still covered in ice so I checked a couple spots on the river and ended up fishing at the baby carp spot on the Housatonic for a couple of hours. There was still some ice on the backwater areas but that didn't deter the carp from coming up onto the mud flats. I saw loads of fish but couldn't buy a hit. Only hookup was a 4# fish that I foul hooked on the dorsal fin :o . The fish did seem to be looking for food, and there were a bunch of them chowing on something right at the edge of the ice. Sure was great to get out and wet a line. I might have to try some other spots today.

Here are a couple photos. Not sure how well the fish will show up online.

Q

This photo shows a pod of fish that I spooked when I casted. The bright stuff on the surface is floating ice.

Quentin
03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
This photo shows a couple of tailing fish in the foreground and the stirred up mud from the fish that are feeding right at the edge of the ice.

Dble Haul
03-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice pictures Quentin. :smokin:

It's great to see some active fish, even when there's still so much ice on the water.