Steelhead fly of the week -Green Butt Skunk [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead fly of the week -Green Butt Skunk

Charlie
03-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Some people believe this may be the most popular Steelhead fly of all time. Developed in the Pacific North West, it is also extensively used in the great lakes and many other areas were there is steelhead. It is believed that the green butt was derived from Atlantic salmon flies were it is common.

The pattern listed below is the most common dressing for the fly. The one in the picture is a variation using dubbing instead of chenille.

Hook: Up eye Salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle fibers
Butt: Fluorescent green chenille or yarn.
Rib: Flat or oval silver tinsel.
Body: Black chenille.
Wing: White skunk tail hair (bucktail, calftail or polar bear can also be used)
Collar: Black hen hackle.
Head: Black

wrke
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Charlie
Fly was designed by Dan Callaghan (Cabin One) of Salem, OR on the North Umpqua.
Bill

flytyer
03-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Charlie,

This is the only white winged steelhead fly I use when tied as a low water fly (the body is half shand and the tail only goes to about the hook point for those of you who don't know what low-water style flies are), and I only use it in the evening during the low-water of late summer/early fall. I usually tie the low-water style with black floss for the body and florescent chartreuse floss for the tag (green butt) and only use a very small bunch of artic fox for the wing. Don't know if you ever tie it low-water style or not, but it is a good one.

Charlie
03-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Some good info gentlemen, thanks. And yes I have used low water flies but not for steelhead. I use them in certain sizes for atlantics.

Charlie

flytyer
03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Charlie,

I tie and fish it low-water style on Veverka Low-water hooks in #'s 4,6, & 8. It also works very well riffle hitched in the early evening.