MHSF Annual Youth Fly Fishing Camp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MHSF Annual Youth Fly Fishing Camp

Bill Gass
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
The Miramichi Headwaters Salmon Federation (MHSF) will be holding their annual Youth Fly Fishing Camp from 5-7 July 06, at the Historic Governors Table Camps on the banks of the Miramichi River at Juniper, NB. This camp is for 12-14 year old Boys and Girls and can accommodate 8 campers (4 boys / 4 girls). The cost is $25.00 per person and the application deadline is 15 April. The application fee must accompany your application. Selection is by random draw and is open to any youth. Canadian, American or otherwise. The application fee will be refunded for any applicants who don't get drawn. For further details you can download the official pamphlet at the following link.

http://www.manzer.net/fish/Brochure.doc

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB

juro
03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Bill -

Makes me wish I were a 12-14 year old again!

thanks for posting, this is a special thing they do for future generations

best,
Juro

QuebecSporting
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Wow!!

Ah!! Great initiative.......

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/kid_fly.JPG

Go kids...!! show us your pics and keep us posted on your fishing!!

A MoM Angler... :)

Bill Gass
03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Last year we had Bill Ensor as a guest speaker as well as the local Fisheries officers. Kids have so many questions by the time you answer their first question they have three more asked, and thats before breakfast. If my memory serves me correctly we only had two girls registered last year so as a result we were able to have two additional boys attend. They draw spare / standby names incase there is a no show / cancellation. We had an excellent time last year with only small amounts of rain on the first day and sunshine the rest of the week. One afternoon we took the kids to the "MHSF Sattelite Rearing Facillity" and the barrier pool on the North Branch of the Main Southwest Miramichi. There were some really large salmon visible as well as one heck of a nice sea trout that swam by. There is a bridge over the holding pool so you can look down into the pool. I even heard that after the camp one of the girls let her parents know that if she were to get a fly rod for Christmas that it wouldn't be a bad thing. Thats alot coming from a teenager. I would also like to stress that this camp is open to any youth between the ages of 12-14, no matter where they reside. Last year we had a kid from Ottawa attend.

Bill Gass
Oromocto