Easter in WellFleet [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Easter in WellFleet

Sparks
03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I'll be spending Easter weekend in Wellfleet. Should I bring my rods, or is the third weekend in April generally too early? Any advice on fish or locations? Thanks!

flydoc
03-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Likely a bit early for saltwater, but they should have started stocking the local ponds with trout by then (Gull Pond in Wellfleet, Great Pond and Pamet River in Truro, Herring Pond in Eastham, Crystal Lake/Baker Pond in Orleans, Big Cliff/Little Cliff Ponds in Nickerson Park in Brewster). Wooly Buggers work great for me in the ponds, but drop in to Fishing the Cape in Harwich (one of the sponsors of this site) for a better idea as to what's hatching/working at that time. Maybe we'll bump into each other....
Flydoc

juro
03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I usually scout after taxes are in and some years (albeit few) I was LATE. The south side from Chatham to Woods Hole is best at that time IMHO but you can find holdovers (but shouldn't).

Doc's right the trout fishing is awesome in April in the prettiest ponds you'll ever see.

Try the tub down and to the right from the lighthouse in Chatham at low tide or the string of jetties along the sound from Stage Harbor west at a morning or evening high tide.

If things are early you could have fish in Welfleet up inside or in Pamet but the better bet would be the Sound to the tub.

Sparks
03-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Fly Doc and Juro - I appreciate the advice, and I'll be sure to stop by Fishing The Cape for a license, local flies, and a heads up on the conditions. I'll also mention that I learned of the shop from Flytalk.

Juro, I hope you mean that you were late with your taxes and not with your scouting. I need to think that someone out there has some sense of appropriate priorities.

Penguin
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
'Not the worst place I can think of to leave foot prints in the sand!