raghead crabs [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: raghead crabs

gimmefish
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
just wondering how to tie the body of the raghead. I got this pic off the web but I can't make sense of it. Any tips?

Adrian
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
I did a bit of hunting around the web but can't locate an originator for this pattern although it's heavilly advertized through the online stores. It was responsible for the capture of a 51lb Permit in the Keys that didn't quite make the record books.

In terms of construction, one picture showed that the body is actually two sections glued together. The bottom section looked to be a plane material with the top section cut from something like furry foam.

Does anyone have any info on the origins of this pattern?

Smcdermott
03-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I believe that is a Jan Isley pattern. I also believe there is a receipe for the fly in Sight Fishing for Striped Bass. I can take a look tonight. I have a few that I got a few years ago for a bone trip I can inspect as well.

Sean

KMcFly
03-08-2006, 10:01 AM
A great fly,check Joe Branham's Site he has a good recipe

jfbasser
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Good to hear from you "Mc" :biggrin: I need to show you a new "sissy stick" I just bought...Now I will have two with me at all times in case you need one:devil:

FishHawk
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Ken, will be looking for you on the Flats. FishHawk:smokin:

flytyer
03-08-2006, 11:39 PM
These rag head style crab bodies are really very easy to tie. All they are is bunches of wool or rug yarn tied in like a spent wing spinner imitation in whatever color (two tone that alternate say between tan and olive or tan and brown look best). And as the body is being tied, the rubber legs are added in; but everything, body yarn (or wool) and rubber legs is left unclipped until after the fly is finished. Then the body is trimmed to a sort of oval and the rubber legs are trimmed and the tips of the legs colored with a rid premanent marker.

Rug yarn hold its shape better in the water, is easier to tie, and doesn't soak up water like wool, so it is easier to work with and cast. By the way, this style of crab has been around for at least 25 years.

If you want one of the crabs with the hard disk on top, they are tied the same and them have an oval shaped piece of velcro glued on after the body had been trimmed.

You can also tie a crab with the rubber legs sandwiched between two pieces of oval shaped velcro that are glued to each other.

juro
03-09-2006, 05:50 AM
I like the "Acklins Crab" pattern that Bob Berquist showed the group last week. It can be adapted with a mottled marabou feather for a back but usually uses antelope in the Turneffe crab style (no shell pad).

I will post this shortly...