thomas and thomas xl4 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: thomas and thomas xl4

hmaadd
03-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Has anyone tried the new thomas and thomas xl4 series rods. Thinking about purchasing one in a lighter wt. Just wanted to know if anyone had tried casting them.

BLACK FRANCIS
03-06-2006, 09:08 AM
i have fished both the 905 and the 864 and was extremely impressed with both. medium action similar to the lps and retaining a lot of power. fit and finish are all up to T&T standards-very nice. all in all one of the nicest mid priced rods i have ever played with. you would never think you were fishing anything less than top of the line. i haven't tried the heavy sticks yet, but expect the same.

cosmo
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
hmaadd,
with some early fine weather last weekend, I headed out to my local shop (coincidently run by Black Francis) to cast a few 4 weights. After trying several Scotts (v2, A2, and E), Nick brought out the XL4. It was a little outside my intended budget, but he said "Try it, just for comparison..." Now, I'm certainly no expert (thanks for the casting tips, Nick), but the T&T was so impressive, I bought it without trying anything else.

It's beautiful, it feels great (I'm still talking about a fly rod here), light, powerful. And even with my crummy mechanics, I was able to land that little bit of pink fuzz consistently on target. It was also more than I intended to spend, but I feel like I got one of the finest rods out there for under 400 dinero. I haven't fished it yet (snowed today) but I think if you try one of these, you'll take it home with you too.

hmaadd
03-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep thanks for the info. I actually bought the 3wt t&t xl4 shortly after I read black franci's post. I love it. It's a litte short at 7 6 but a great small stream rod. Just what I was looking for. thanks for the info