march flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: march flies

LoomisGL3
03-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi

What flies would you reccomend for small to med. sized streams in march- mosly wild browns?

Also Anyone here fish the Neversink river in NY? I have 7 days off in 2 weeks and am thinking about going, I live about 2 and a half hours away.

Adrian
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I've not fished the Neversink but I checked the New York Flyfisher's Guide (Eric Newman) and there are no hatches to speak of until April when the little black/brown stone is mentioned. The recommended approach this time of year is Streamers - I would guess fished slowly through the current seams. Small midges seem to be able to hatch at any temperature so it might be worth carrying a few griffiths gnats.

Check the regulations before you go out because according to the Guide, the trout season runs April through October and I have a feeling that includes catch and release in New York State.

LoomisGL3
03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply,

From what I've read so far you can fish the neversink river year round but only catch and release.

Im just getting back into fly fishing, I learned when I was about 12, now im 20. I,ve been reading and talking to everyone to gain all the information i can , but I have ALOT more to learn.

cosmo
03-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Loomis, I know this is a bit late for your trip to the Neversink, but here are a couple of useful sites regarding the river:

<email or PM for links>

I've fished the Neversink a few times in the last couple of years, and I recommend checking out the Unique Area. Requires a good hike, but you won't regret it.