Fly Line Help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Line Help

02-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Is shooting line different from sinktip full-sinking or floating line?? I want to get shooting line for the steelhead 'drift fly technique' attached to the flat monifilament etc. But what I don't understand is, is this 'shooting line' that's used for this the same as say Rio's Nymph Shooting line? Or is it entirely different from any of the lines used for traditional fly fishing (floating, sink full sink)? Because I'm wondering if I can use one of those three traditional type lines (ie floating) as my
'shooting line', or is that totally another kind of line made for the drift-fly-fishing technique for steelhead?

I hope that can be followed. Thanks for any help.

03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure what drift flyfishing is, but I think I undestand your question. Oval monofilament is used as the running line to attach shooting heads. This system is simply a flyline with interchangeable tips. A loop in the running line is attached to a loop in the shooting head. Heads are configured in a variety of lengths, and weight. Depending on the type of fishing, heads can be purchased in floating, intermediate and sinking types.