600sp Substitute [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 600sp Substitute

sean
02-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I love this hook but it is a tad spendy. Anything similiar out there at a lower price or should I just suck it up?

-sean

Smcdermott
02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
If you don't mind the upturned eye you can use Gamakatsu Octupus hooks found at Dicks etc...Super strong and sharp. Just put the hook in a good vise or use a pair of pliers to get rid of the offset. Tie it on with a loop and it seems to track fine for me. Much easier on the wallet.

Sean

BLACK FRANCIS
02-27-2006, 04:56 PM
daiichi x452 is somewhat cheaper if it's not too long, the tmc looks a little shorter per size. great point and heavy carbon steel.

JimW
02-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I wonder if an Eagle Claw 254SS might do the trick for you. It's a heavy short shank hook that works well on deeper presentations and larger patterns. For a rays fly or a blonde I'd use something lighter.

I like my sticky sharp gamis the sc15 is my hook of choice for many flies. The Mustad signature series have recently caught my eye for the smaller hooks 2 and under. I used to use the Dahichi's brittle but nice and sharp. They just don't seem to be readily available where I shop and I find the Gamis to be sharper.

To each his own - If you've got the cash, go for it - when it comes to hooks I think you get a better product if you're willing to spend the money. It then comes down to what hook do you need for the task at hand. I still tie some rays flies and chart/white clousers on 3407's - they rust - they might bend on bigger fish but they work when and where I fish them screwing around with schoolies and am not worried about straightening a hook.

I've seen what a 30lb tuna can do to a decent hook on heavy gear (non-fly) - even the larger bass are not going to excert that kind of pressure using a 10wt unless you point it straight at the fish and then the fight is relatively short lived.

Like Sean M pointed out the big gami hooks are a great substitute for some of the very expensive hooks. They are super sharp and the upturned eye takes a snell. I wouldn't try to straighten a 6/0 in a renzetti but a bench vice or a regal will handle it no problem.

Philster
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Owner Aki is a superb short shank saltwater hook. Downright cheap is bought in large packs. Size 2 and 2/0 is all I use in Baja on tube flies.

speydoc
03-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I echo Philster on the Aki's - price realy comes down if bought in bulk. They have become my #1 hook for saltwater fish like Giant Trevally and also for my freshwater fishing for chinook. Gamakatsu octopus hooks have their place but are not quite as strong as the Akis. The new Mustad signature vertion of the Trey Coombs hooks may also be worth trying - I have been using them in the smaller sizes with good results.
speydoc