Spring is on the way! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring is on the way!

Charlie
02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Spring is on the way sports fans, and with it the promise of big spring run fish. Was wondering what people are doing to get prepared. Planning trips, new gear, tying flies or all of the above. I have been tying up some big bright tube flies for the season and am in the process of building a T&T 14ft. 9wt. I also want to try some dry flies this season. I have had some luck in the past with dry flies on the aggressive spring fish but just one her and one there. Iím planning on giving it a better effort this year.

Charlie.

Gregory DeFoe
02-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Way to go Charlie . What T&T are you building, 3pc or 5pc? The 5 pc is a little softer action, but not by much. I've built up 2 of the 1409-3 . I know you know what you're doing but if you have any questions give me a holler. What seat are you using, the Struble U-28 works real nice on that rod, it has delrin inserts to prevent scratching the reel seat, if that's a concern. Still PATIENTLY waiting for the materials list.

Greg

Muckle Salmon
02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Charlie. Your post was a nice little "pick me up":) when I needed it. Suffering from the Feb. blaghs. Seems like great minds think alike as I just tied up a bunch of Lemire's greased liners the other day and resolved to really go at it this year with the dries. Will be nice to get together and compare notes. If the weather holds might head down your way this weekend.

Ramsay

Charlie
02-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,

Greg, I got the 3pc. And sorry about the list, I will get it done.

Ramsay, let me know when you can come down, a few of the rivers have started to fish again. Notice I didnít say ďfish goodĒ, but not bad either.

Charlie

2HandTheSalt
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I am up to the Salmon, the first week in April, and CANT WAIT!

Gregory DeFoe
02-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Charlie, check your PM

Fishing4Soup
03-06-2006, 01:39 PM
this weekend im going down to irondequoit creek..hope to finally catch a steelie. They might even be running! Im going to use a 6 weight to get the hardest fight out of one and then probably use egg sacs

chromer
03-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Using egg sacs on a fly rod :confused:

Charlie
03-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Fishing4Soup,

You should make sure you have some streamer type flies on hand. Spring fish can be very aggressive, especially if the water is warming up. Get some in White, Olive, Black, Purple and Brown. Wooly buggers will do just fine. Add some wight to get them down. Cast them across the creek and slightly down stream and let them swing. I think you may be surprised. Also, it is much more fun to fish this way than dead drifting.

Nothing says lovin like a fish trying to rip the rod out of your hand. :hihi:

I finally donated the last of my glo-bugs and egg flies to my TU chapter for their fundraising. Swinging flies for them is just two much fun and I haven’t had them out of the box in a long time anyway.

Charlie

Salar 33
03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi Charlie,

I hear that a few bright fish are trickling in the lower part of the Salmon. I will be drifting through on Saturday and Sunday.

As I hate the chuck and duck, I plan to put in some time with a two hander and some of the same patterns I use on the brood stock Atlantics here in New Hampshire. I will have to add a bit of tungsten to some woolies and nymphs as the weight is illegal here.

Let's hope for a few degrees warmer water and a bit of a sweet melt to bring in more fish.

As far as getting prepared, I think Iím ready except for the car needing gas.

C.R.O.

Charlie
03-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Bill,

A some friends of mine got a rather large one on the Salmon last week. Not sure what they got it on but I know it was not a glo-bug or nymph. :hihi: Only problem was, it was the only one they got. Let us know how you do.

Charlie.

juro
03-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Charlie -

You headed that way this spring? Maybe we can hook up with some of the Salmon River 'swingers'

Charlie
03-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Juro,

I want to get up there, I just havn't picked a day yet. What are you thinking bro?

Charlie.

Gregory DeFoe
03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Charlie
I sent you an email about the Salmon. I am going in Mar. and April. If you want to get together pick a date, it doesnt matter to me. Being unemployed has it's advantages. The only date thats out is Mar 21. I'm looking at mid April, I think that's when my son is off from his teaching job.
Greg

Salar 33
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Guys,

With the temps in the mid 40's to low 50's what do you think will happen this weekend? Should I be all jazzed up to be going?

C.R.O.

Charlie
03-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Greg,

I need to look at my schedule. If your son picks a day let me know and I will try to get up there to meet you.

C.R.O,

You should be in good shape. Hopefully the warm spell will turn the fish on. The only thing I would worry about is that everyone gets the same idea you do. :hihi:

Charlie.

juro
03-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Juro,

I want to get up there, I just havn't picked a day yet. What are you thinking bro?

Charlie.

Not able to commit to a date at this point but we spoke about taking over the DSR rooms with a Forum group, that would rock.

In any case I would like to get out there when you are out there to swing the river top to bottom.

Glenora Ghillie
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna try to be there around the weekend of April 21. Gonna go to Ohio and try out that fishery before hand.

I'd love to catch up with all of you, spring is my favorite time there... I've had some of my wildest angling moments ever there... the highlight was this trip:

April 22, 2002...the river had been running 3500-6000cfs for 3 weeks and had dropped over a week to 750. My dear friend 80 years young(aka geezer), drive up a mellow pace, one a beautiful day(55 and sunny), we were not to hopeful for productive fishing.

We arrive at DSR about 9:30am, there are no cars in the lot...:eek: Connie, who knows us says we're the first people she'd seen in two weeks....:Eyecrazy:

So we hussle down to the meadow run, and yes...no one there.

I rigged first and I started. I was fishing a double bunny rattle clouser( 2 inches long).

It goes like this...First cast-15 feet, second cast-20 feet, third cast-30 feet and fish chases fly to my foot. Fourth cast-35 feet, fast to fish, picture and release. Fifth cast-20 feet(two steps down), jump a fish. Sixth cast-30 feet (one step down), fast to fish.

Then come the swears, for my geezer "angling partner in crime" who is not yet rigged. After that release, I reeled in and helped him get it together. He was into a fish using a lafontaine smelt thing he favored on his fourth cast...20 feet.

The best and worst parts was having a fish strike so hard it snaps the fly(charteruse) off...pre-strike(0x fluro, fresh tie and first cast)...only to fly skyward revealing a bright 10-15lb Atlantic that jumps 6 times almost knocking into George:chuckle: Plus a bright silver brown(6lbs).

The steelhead were mostly dropbacks(6-12lbs) with one sliver jack. I went 8 for 13(high rod-got buy the beer) and George 4 for 6. We were done at 2pm.

They dropped the river to 350 the next day and George fished it and said he got 1 early and then it was over.

Right place at the right time!!!!

I was 4 for 6 last year using crayfish flies on a floating line, watching some unreal chases and crayfish kills(after the water temps go above 45).

Yes, I like spring on the salmon river.

Shahab