saltwater 2 hand gear [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: saltwater 2 hand gear

phlyphish
02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I have been reading about two handed/spey casting for saltwater and saw a demo recent by Juro (good demo) at the Bears Den Show.

Could anyone give me advice as far as gear selection. I am thinking about getting a ross BG reel and 13-15ft Sage. I will be fishing for blues/stripers but would like versatility for warm water species.

any info would be greatly appreciated...

phly

sean
02-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I would reccomend staying to a shorter length rod for starters. Especially if you are new to the 2 handed world. 15' can just be too much rod to be comfortable use overhead all day. Also with a shorter rod and a 2 handed retrieve rods under 12' will feel no different than your single hander on the strip.

Take a look at the under 13' TCR models by sage and there are also some rods made specifically for overhead worth mention. Those would be the CND Oceana(the rod Juro used at the demo), TFO 1212 (grep performance and price), and the T&T 1212. All great sticks and will excel at doing what you want. My favorite is the CND 1111, killer rod.

Ross make a great reel and have excellent warranties. You cannot go wrong with them.

-sean

phlyphish
02-26-2006, 12:10 PM
thanks sean!

grizz0707
02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I have both rods by CND and also spey rod. There is a difference in the result for the salt. Both CND are awesome and have them set up with Billy Pate reels. The CND have always delivered when i needed a stick to hold the fish.
fish we must,
grizz0707