Too much weight? Pontoon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Too much weight? Pontoon

loomisid
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
How much is too much, I own a Pac 900 and I'm taking it down the John Day River in Oregon for five days with at least three other pontooners. I'm going to load down the toon, manufacturer recomends 400lbs. Does this inlude my weight? Has any body loaded down thier toon to the max and did it make a difference in the way it rides?

Dble Haul
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I've never come close to the maximum rated weight for a pontoon, but I'm positive that the recommended weight includes the weight of the angler riding in it.

teflon_jones
02-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm not a pontooner, but I have a lot of experience on other watercraft, and the rating always includes the weight of the angler. The weight rating of a watercraft isn't just for how much weight it can float either. It also takes into consideration how much weight it can hold before components might start to break, as well as the safety of the watercraft with respect to stability (and handling). I'm not familiar with the John Day River, but if there's any rough water keep in mind that the more weight you put on the pontoon, the less ability it will have to handle rough water safely.

Like I said, I'm not a pontooner, but I've done lots of rivers in canoes and other small craft, both with and without a heavy load. And I've also flipped a few of those loads... ;)

lenny
02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I've got a Pac 1000 and they'll handle what they are rated, but it does include the angler. Keep in mind that the higher you ride, the quicker you can manouever. Travel light if possible. If you find the front of the boat is angled up when you are on the water, shift the frame forward on the pontoons to ride level. The opposite applies when travelling empty. Good luck on your trip.

loomisid
02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
thanks for the replies

Ive been down this river with a 14ft self bailer, there is no big white water but there is not much water flow 500-1000cfm. we did hit bottom numerous times but really no big deal just got out and walked it through a part of that was we were unfamiliar with the river.

I just wanted to know how much beer I could bring.:chuckle:

But really I'm almost 200lbs so that only leaves me 200lbs for gear, for a five day trip that dont leave much. nowing me I will probably push that.