new rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new rod

JOHN YEOMANS
02-23-2006, 08:31 AM
LOOKING FOR A LT SALTWATER 8WT., FOR FISHING MONOMOY FLATS, STRIPERS, EASTERN STEELHEAD, SOME FLA SALTWATER. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS JOHN:eek:

Dave17
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd look at the Sage Xi2 and the Thomas and Thomas h2. They seem to get the most praise.

In a slightly cheaper category, people love the Sage RPLxi which may be a little harder to find but will be much cheaper due to it being discontinued.

Shop around, taste is subjective with rods but the three above are a good place to start. I'd also try Loomis, Scott and Winston rods in the same class.

Smolt
02-23-2006, 09:49 AM
At the other end of the spectrum, take a good look at the Albright A-5, the Powell Tiburon II (which is now on "show special" pricing), and the Echo2 rods. I think you will find one you like among those three choices and save yourself a bundle.

Swalt
02-23-2006, 10:30 AM
If you are interested in the TiboronII you need to check out e-bay. Search "powell combo" and it will bring up Timax rod combos also on sale. If you click on one of them then check the "sellers other items" there will be some tiborons there. The combo is going for less than half of what the rod by itself orignally sold for. He had 8, 9 and 10 wts. Not sure what is there now.

teflon_jones
02-23-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd take a look at the Albright EXS. I love mine, casts like a dream.