Line with build-in strike indicator [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Line with build-in strike indicator

AdrianV
02-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know of a floating line with a build in strike indicator? Such as a wider/broader tip section?

BLACK FRANCIS
02-23-2006, 06:43 AM
rio nymph taper has a high floating orange tip that is supposed to work well. i'm sure there are others.

baldmountain
02-23-2006, 07:21 AM
I've been thinking about getting the rio nymph line, but haven't yet. Isn't an indicator on the fly line just too far away from the fly to be effective? Don't you need something a bit closer to the fly?

teflon_jones
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
It really depends how long your leader is and how deep the water is Geoff...

Skilly
02-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I dont know if they still make it but I used to have a line that had a bout a 7" long section on the tip that was larger in diamater and a bright orange for nymph fishing. This was a long time ago maybe 30 years but you might contact some of the fly shops in your area that have an O>F> working there. For some reason I think it was an SA line.

Skilly

baldmountain
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
It really depends how long your leader is and how deep the water is Geoff...

Yeah, but it seems a lot easier to adjust for water depth with a proper indicator rather than having to retie your leader all the time.

teflon_jones
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but it seems a lot easier to adjust for water depth with a proper indicator rather than having to retie your leader all the time.
Yeah, that was kind of my unspoken comment. They sound like a great idea as long as you're always fishing the same kind of water with the same length leader. Personally, unless the water was at least 3 ft deep and you were using a 9 ft leader, I think the fly line tip would be too far away from the fly to be an effective indicator. But I've never tried one so I don't really know, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion anyway. :)

Sean Juan
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
A real good indicator is to use a furled leader and then whip fishing the ends of it with a highly visable thread.

Its not perfect of course but I am pretty lack when it comes to leader adjectments on the water, so I keep a variety of furled leaders for different depths, for nymphing I make them out of Berkley vanish since it sinks much better than mono.

flytyer
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Gee guys, once upon a time way back BC (before computers and the internet), people actually fished nymphs on floating lines without indicators relying on watching the end of the fly line or place where the leader went under the surface. And as hard as it may be to believe, they would actually hook fish this way.

Seriously, fly lines with a short 4"-12" section at the end of some bright, florescent color have been around since the 1970's.

teflon_jones
02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I've never actually used an indicator flytyer, but that doesn't prevent me from giving my thoughts on these types of lines... :)

zugbugz
02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
AdrianV, there are numerous lines designed with tapers specifically for nymph fishing, the Rio Nymph line and the Scientific Anglers "Nymph Taper" line are two that come to mind. The indicator feature on the Rio line is intended to be a convenience if you would normally prefer to use an indicator at the top of the leader. There are numerous ways to fish nymphs (in deep fast water that might be the best way, used with some split shot just above the tippet), but the line is designed so that the indicator can be cut off with no effect on the casting of the line. Many folks like to place an indicator at the depth of the water being fished (works well with bead head nymphs) and might prefer not to use the built-in indicator. And...of course nymphs can be fished without indicators. The nymph lines are designed to make casting nymphs easier...the indicator is nothing more than a convenience, as any kind of stick on indicator affects casting performance. FYI, you can buy plastic dye intended for plastic bass baits and make your own "indicator lines" in any color you like! Just my take...Don:wink:

Zugbuz - Arizona

AdrianV
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. I will check upon some lines such as the Rio.
Strike-indicators are not allowed in competition, so must be bite indication on the line only. Again thanks.

phlyphyshr
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Try an Airflo "indicator" polyleader, easy to see and doesn't act like a bobber.