22 deg 33' 21 North by 73 deg 59' 11 West [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 22 deg 33' 21 North by 73 deg 59' 11 West

juro
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Coordinates for an incredible natural phenomenon as evident from the sky and even more so on foot :smokin:

As our friend and host Reverend Felton Rolle (and his father Bishop Rolle) says "Only Heaven is better".

FredA
02-21-2006, 11:11 AM
That's it, rub it in.

Hope you're not spot burning.;) :smokin:

I do need to use those emotion icons more.

juro
02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I see the point, but my thoughts are that although It's not really my place to decide these things but in my personal opinion there are places that are drastically over-exploited, places that have a good balance, and places that are not even on the map yet.

I would say Plum Island is the first example, the Gaspe' Peninsula is well-balanced, and Acklins is a prime example of the third kind of destination.

My sense is that the good people of Acklins would appreciate some more attention from the traveling angler not only in the premier lodge operations but also from those of us who support small businesses there and tough it out on our own until we can afford the lodge trips ourselves. I think we are far in the minority as well.

Where our group just barely scratched the surface, a year has passed since our footsteps made the Binnacle hike and just as the guide came to see if we were OK (imagine that) I am certain he has not seen another soul there since that day.

For 12 months the timeless seas further smoothed the pink and purple glass remnants left from the island's glory days as the natural sponge capitol with global recognition, a lucrative time that had people building salt walls and stone shorefront homes which due to synthetic sponge processes now stand as ruins in the blasting tropical sun, back to a simple passage of time again.

I do heed the point, and think it could happen someday... but today we are blessed to experience these places in such a raw form as we do, and it's my opinion that we are just barely discovering a jewel in the rough at this juncture and that there is much room for more exploration by soft stepping anglers from afar.

Henry
02-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that was cool and I really feel for your anticipation. Another month and I'm off to my favorite co ordinates aswell.

25 deg 29' 45 North by 76 deg 41' 16 West

Too bad Aklins/Crooked islands aren't depicted in the same resolution as Eleuthera...or...mabey that's a good thing.

Regards and thanks for the reminder,

Henry

teflon_jones
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
All I see when I get those coordinates is a very nice looking big huge shallow area. I wonder why you'd give those coordinates......... ;)

Google Earth is very handy. :)

flydoc
02-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Just don't get bitten whilst wading the Bight:hihi:
Flydoc

bonefishmon
02-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Please bring back pictures from your downtime. Perhaps a panorama from a hill with a 360 degree view. The happy people and their habitat. How about a portrait of Acklins Boy Felton along with the lodging. Can't see the place this year but hopes are high for next year.

Watch out for coral heads in that boat! Have a great trip fellas. Juro. Bring the laptop and send us a few pics while there if you can.

Phil

FredA
02-22-2006, 07:45 AM
The spot burner police has indeed confirmed that the coordinates given are for a location a few miles west of Snug Corner and only imply a general location where a bonefish may be. Said spot burner officer was concerned, given that the perp has a tendency to let enthusiasm and generosity overtake his better judgement, that said coordinates may have yielded locations at Kiver Bay or Rewards Miles Creek.

Where's my Prozac?:frown: