Experimental frog [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Experimental frog

02-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Body is made by slicing a conical edgewater boilermaker popper body lengthwise.

Hook is 3/0 Orvis Bass Bug.

I built a "platform" of 30lb stiff mono each side of the hookshank to help prevent the body moving.

Liberal use of superglue throughout the construction process!

Legs/feet are triple strands of silli-legs glued into place between the two body halves. To create the "feet" simply tie a knot and splay out the individual strands.

The rear legs are at least twice as long as the front.

I wrapped the body lightly with fine mono for strength before coating with Loon hardbody and then docorated with pantone pen.

Eyes are rattle doll-eyes.

I'm going to tie a few up with weed-guards also.

Dble Haul
02-17-2006, 06:41 PM

The bass in Moodus wouldn't know what them! Great flies that you've posted this evening....thanks for sharing.

02-18-2006, 11:51 AM
The pike should love that one even after they strip the arms and legs off :hihi: I'll be interested to hear if the mono wrap & hardbody help protect the foam. I know my foam divers got chewed up pretty easily, although most of the damage occurred while trying to get the fly out of the fish's mouth. Some damage was from teeth, but I did a lot of damage with the pliers too. A jaw spreader would help!


02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
There is a 'parting of the lilly pads' in your future!