ross evolution/rythym reel for bonefish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: ross evolution/rythym reel for bonefish?

gimmefish
02-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I have an 8 weight. I was thinking about getting the Ross BG4 for bones, permit, stripers.

But would the Ross evolution size 3.5 handle the task? This would be ideal for me, since the evolution reel could also be used for large trout/steelhead, whereas the BG has more limited use for me since I don't fish salt quite as much.

Obviously the drag doesn't measure up to the BigGame, but how would the evolution or rythym handle the saltwater? Ross says they are built for saltwater, but will the drag handle bones?

chromer
02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Warning on the BG... the drag is not sealed so salt means corroded inside the drag that is only serviceable by Ross. It does not fall apart but you cant adjust it when its rusted. Not sure about the others, I've gone with dannelsons evotechs now :smokin:

BigDave
02-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Sounds like you are looking for something light with a smooth drag that can survive the saltwater environment. Check out the Bauer McKenzie Superlite.

If you manage to hook a permit or big striper you don't want to be questioning how your gear will hold up. Salt is tough on gear not designed for it.