Yucatan Penisula [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Yucatan Penisula

CascoBay
02-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey Y'All,
Life is good! We are no longer headed to Dominican Rep..... We are headed to Puerto Adventuras (15 miles South of Playa Del carmen). I have read the discouraging news about DIY Fly from PDC, but I am hoping to utilize the opportunity at Boca Paila bridge and the water around our resort. Being on a budget and all I am hoping to splurge and get a day of guided fishing on Ascension bay, does anyone have any advice for a self suficient sight angle on a budget? Any input would be welcome, Guides, Boat rentals, etc. Regardless, I have filled to boxes with fishy looking bone, snook, permit, and tarpon patterns and I plan on giving it the good ole'college try, I will be sure to report my findings!

Aaron:smokin:

profota
02-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Aaron....

If you want to fish the flats of Ascension Bay for bonefish, check out this link:

<spam removed>

Tim

wirefly
02-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Just was there last week, stayed at the Barcelo, another 20 miles or so south of Playa del Carmen. Had an amazing first time on the flats, look up Pesca Maya as a guide source. It is a hairy ride down to the fishing areas, count on 2 1/2 to three hours (yes, I know it's only about 70 miles, but the last 50 kilometers are some of the most interesting dirt roads you will ever see, takes at least an hour and a half to do the last bit) Good luck

profota
02-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Don't understand why the link was removed. It said basically what wirefly is saying in the post below.?

Don't want to stir the pot.

Tim

juro
02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
>sigh<

Direct promotion of non-sponsor businesses on the Forum is not allowed. This is out of respect for our sponsors who support this site and thus provide it free to members.

This was in the member agreement you agreed to when you signed up. But yes I know no one reads that anyway.

Well, now you know! If you think it's a bad rule then suggest an alternative system of checks and balances to preserve the value of sponsorship to keep the site going, the complaints mean nothing unless there is a measurable, acheivable plan to change for the better.

Juro

CascoBay
02-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info and PM'S, I appreciate the resources that people are willing to offer up! I will report back to y'all with the results!.

Aaron

wirefly
02-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I apologize for giving the info, forgot the rules, didn't think there would be a problem there.

profota
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Juro,

Sorry..... So basically I can type a lodge's name that can help Cascobays 1 day fishing needs, I just can't add a direct link to the lodge. Is this correct?

No complaints and no, I don't think it's a bad rule, just want to comply with the rules of the board and help others at the same time.:)

Tim

L'aigret
03-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Just was there last week, stayed at the Barcelo, another 20 miles or so south of Playa del Carmen. Had an amazing first time on the flats, look up Pesca Maya as a guide source. It is a hairy ride down to the fishing areas, count on 2 1/2 to three hours (yes, I know it's only about 70 miles, but the last 50 kilometers are some of the most interesting dirt roads you will ever see, takes at least an hour and a half to do the last bit) Good luck

Wirefly is right about the ride! They charged me $100 round trip from my hotel, and it was 2 1/2 hours each way. You might be better off to rent a jeep for the day and drive yourself. You'll cut an hour off the trip each way, and save $40.

We fished on 3/9/06 with winds so hard that scuba trips to the reef were canceled at Porto Aventuras. Nevertheless, our guides found us fishable water and we were into fish regulalrly. Lots of cloud caused more problem than the wind. No permit, only bones. Average 3#

Pesca Maya got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma and does not look like the brochures. I was told they lost 11 boats and two cabanas. Re-building is in progress.

Keep you rod up.