GPS thoughts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: GPS thoughts

2000smiles
02-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I am about to buy a GPS unit and was wondering if anyone new if there are any that have more detailed river information than others? I will use it for hiking and general use too, but fishing rivers in the NE and kayaking will be the primary use.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
-Scott

chromer
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I use the garmin etrex but found the maps to be outdated after floods rearrange the river. Also doesnt come in real good in canyons until you pop out the other side.

It has done me good though to mark spots along a long drift and also let me know when I am coming up to the take out to call the wife and let her know I will be late for dinner :biggrin:

2000smiles
02-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks man, that was helpful. You call when you are going to be late huh, maybe that explains my two ex-wives? :Eyecrazy:

gimmefish
02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I love the garmin rhino, it is a GPS plus a 2 way radio, so you can chat with your fishing buddies. You can put topo maps in them and everything. They are awesome!

Geordie Shanks
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I have been using the Garmin 60CS for the last year and have been seriously impressed by it. The screen is color and is excellent. I bought the Mapsource topo map and loaded about 16 maps all over the west into it with plenty of room to spare. The Mapsource maps are surprisingly detailed- I have used it on several steelhead rivers in the Pacific Northwest and have been very pleasantly surprised by the accuracy, right down to individual islands, small feeder streams, pools, jut-outs, etc. I'm sure that updating the maps can be tricky with runoff, but I've really been very happy with the Garmin products and the Mapsource topo maps.