Your thoughts (??) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Your thoughts (??)

QuebecSporting
02-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I wonder, are you selective with colors you wear to go fishing...

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/image_cas.JPG

Or do you have that lucky shirt ??? :roll:

( do they come in lady sizes..) :biggrin:

Ann

flydoc
02-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Someone isn't going to catch any fish today:whoa: .....I can't believe someone that clueless would be permitted to handle a fly rod. Standing in the canoe is bad enough, but that vest/shirt combo....she'd spook less fish throwing large rocks in the water around the canoe!:tsk_tsk:

Salar-1
02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Ann
I recognize the guy in the middle !! No other than Junior Bougon !

rankinstein
02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
:cool: I like to stay away from the bright colors.The less contrast the better. I wear waders they are tan and try to wear a shirt that is the same or close especially if where you are fishing from shore in low water conditions.I don't know how good a salmon's eyesight is but I know they detect movement easily.I have heard it said that light blue is good also blends in with the sky.Hope this doesn't sound too wacko:biggrin:

JR SPEY
02-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I need to ask Flydoc why he feels it is bad to stand in the canoe? Standing with a fire engine red shirt or jacket doesn't make much sense, but almost all salmon anglers I know stand in the Gaspé style canoes used in most of Quebec. Though it does increase your visibility some, it also significantly increases the amount of water that can be effectively covered. As long as it's done while wearing more subdued colors I think the tradeoff is more than worth it. Besides, using a double-handed rod in a canoe while seated is next to impossible.

photog
02-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Someone isn't going to catch any fish today:whoa: .....I can't believe someone that clueless would be permitted to handle a fly rod. Standing in the canoe is bad enough, but that vest/shirt combo....she'd spook less fish throwing large rocks in the water around the canoe!:tsk_tsk:
I use to fish with a guy who wore Pendelton red plaid wool shirts. He would sneak up on a pool, cast and catch fish. He claimed that fish are color blind. Anyway, I have tried to use subdued colors, but I know others don't and still catch fish.

Bill

Bob Pauli
02-13-2006, 03:29 PM
According to Dr. Colin Kageyama, in his book What Fish See, fresh salmonids' eyes are optimized for the blues and greens of ocean life, and don't recognize red colors as [red]. As the fish mature sexually, their eyes adjust to the red shades of river life, including I assume, the need to see salmon eggs.

bonefishmon
02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Hello Ann. I always take the black and white photo approach. How would I look in the forground compared to the background? A lot depends on contrast and which direction the sun is or is not shining. If the fish is looking at you backlit with the sky in the background, it doesn't matter which color you're wearing. If the sun is out you will stand out like a sore thumb with your profile appearing very dark in silouette. Think in tones vs. colors but most of all stay as far away as you can and still make the cast without difficulty. Contrast.......tone......distance.

Phil

fcch
02-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Ann, ...

I'm with Phil on that one.

Contrast and silhouette are (imho) important. I guess folks figure, 'cause the salmon don't scoot out of a pool when we come up to them, ... they aren't shy ...

imho, ... they see us a lot more often than we see them !

As for standing in a canoe, ... depends on conditions.

http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/2003/PICT0041.jpg

juro
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
The problem is the canoe! :wink:

teflon_jones
02-19-2006, 09:22 PM
I usually try and wear something that's not too bright. Red and yellow are definitely not at the top of my list! Whether the fish can really see them or not matters of course, but just as important to me is that somehow I just don't feel right going out on a stream/river/lake with clothes on that'll stop traffic. ;)

I usually wear brown or green shirts, my fly vest is green, my fishing hats are brown or dark blue, and my rain jacket is also dark blue. Not too much bright stuff in my collection...

juro
02-19-2006, 10:10 PM
On the flats the fish definitely respond to color. A red (or red-based) shirt contrasts with the sky so much that you have to be an expert caster with distance and precision to present the fly before the alarmed reaction occurs. This is true with striped bass and bonefish although I have not tested other species extensively on the flats.