Cabelas rods any good? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cabelas rods any good?

gimmefish
02-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I recently visited a Cabelas store and was very impressed with the LST rods ($170) and the XST saltwater rods ($180). They seem like well built, fast action rods. I was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with them.

photog
02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a Cabales LST 9' 5wt. I think it is as good as any other rod I have used.

Bill

Eddie
02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
they are good for the money.

juro
02-11-2006, 09:31 PM
The rod may be as good as the ones you would find in shops at that price range, the difference being you won't know until after you buy it and you won't be able to match lines to it or find too many people who have experience with it as this thread demonstrates. Buying monofilament from big catalog stores makes sense to me but just about nothing else in the fly fishing department, personally speaking (meaning no inference or offense of course).

Even when dealing with shops in other areas of the country (like all of our fine sponsors for instance) I still feel better about the service and relationship I am building with them. I buy from shops across the country and am on a first name basis with guys I trust, like Ryan Petzold, Leland Miyawaki, Mark Bachmann; and when I buy from shops on the east coast by phone I know I am getting first hand knowledge in the stripah and tunoid fishery from Scott at the Bears Den or Peter Jenkin's crew in Rhody.

This is a personal decision but I thought I would mention that I hope we are not left with just the big catalog stores in the end.

teflon_jones
02-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Cabelas is a very big name in outdoor gear and I haven't found a single product they put their name on that isn't good quality. I've tried a couple of their rods before and for the money they're seemed as good as any on the market. However, there's something satisfying to me about using a rod from a smaller builder. I feel like they have more personality and uniqueness to them, especially the more expensive rods. For entry level gear, they're similar to anybody else.

flydoc
02-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Check out Temple Fork Outfitters...similarly priced to the Cabela's rods, but likely a bit better in terms of overall quality and customer service/warranty (lifetime no fault warranty- tough to beat that...). Click on the sponsors link at the top of this website.
Flydoc