new fly rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new fly rod

jlsmithii
02-10-2006, 07:25 PM
looking for some advice.

I will be moving to southeast PA soon where there are multiple small trout streams to fish and as such, was thinking about getting a new fly rod. currently my trout work horse is a sage DS2 8'6" 5 wt. I was thinking for these small streams of either getting a 3wt or a 4wt. Any suggestions as to which weight and for that matter, which rod maker. Preferably, I'd like a rod that does not have too much overlap with my 5wt. I have been looking at the orvis superfine series. likewise, any suggestions to an accompaning fly reel.

thanks

teflon_jones
02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I'd look at a medium flex 3 wt or full flex 4 wt in 7'6 or 8' length at the longest. I'm a very big fan of my Orvis Brook Trout rod and highly recommend it. It's a full flex 4 wt 7'6.

Spock
02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
try out the sage fli or launch in the 8'6" 3wt, it wont overlap with the 5wt and it's a hoot catching fish on a 3wt

flytyer
02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Those streams are indeed small (at least most of them) and rather overgrown with tree branches and limbs overhead with very little room for a long rod. The fish also tend to be small (i.e. under 8" is usual). Therefore, a 3 wt or even a 2wt short rod (7' or better still 6' to 6'6") would be ideal. You are not going to need to cast more than 20' most of the time and a 40' cast would be a very long cast indeed on those streams. Since the streams are small, fish are small, and the cast are short, a fairly flexible (or full-flex rod as Orvis calls them) should be ideal. Just take your pick of the brand you like best.

FishHawk
02-12-2006, 07:18 AM
I guess I'm from the old school. I would go with the 5wt. Reason , you could use some larger weighted nymphs and streamers. If I had one fly to fish those streams it would be a Conehead Muddler. Try tying this in a size 14 small beadhead Muddler. A real killer fly. FishHawk

fishboyicu812
02-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I fish southern PA streams often and to be honest with you I use a 8'6" 4 wt Winston LT 90 percent of the time. This rod can handle just about everything from heavy nymphs/streamers to #28 midges without any real sacrafice in performance. Many of these streams are meadow in nature(complete with high grass and willows) and I find the added length a benefit in both dry fly presentations and nymphing. The reason is that many of my presentations are from my knees and with a shorter rod I found many of my casts often found there way fouled in the high grasses behind me. On the smallest streams(10 feet wide and smaller) I often employ an Orvis Brook Trout (4wt).

On a different note...the very best money you could spend would be to purchase the book Pennsylvania Trout Streams by Dwight Landis. It is the best guide book for Pennsylvania that you can own(Good maps and good advice). This book coupled with a Pennsylvania DeLorme atlas will put you on dozens of great streams within a very reasonable distance of south east Pennsylvania along with covering the rest of the state as well.

jlsmithii
02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
thanks for the info.

i'll have to look into that book. i was also planning on getting flyfisher's guide to Pennsylvania (i own the NY version and have found it very useful).

as for the difference between a 4wt or a 3wt...
are there any drawbacks to either one? keep in mind i already have a 5wt which gets quite a bit of use. is a 4wt too similar to the 5wt? likewise, with a 3wt, will i be able to cast weighted nymphs or would this be a small dry fly rod?

VAsportsman
12-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Honestly, I've found that I use my Sage XP 9' 4wt. most often, particularly when fishing Penn spring creeks that are notorious for selective trout. The rod allows for very delicate presentations at nearly any distance. However, many people don't like such a fast action for fishing Penn trout streams.

teflon_jones
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM
as for the difference between a 4wt or a 3wt...
are there any drawbacks to either one? keep in mind i already have a 5wt which gets quite a bit of use. is a 4wt too similar to the 5wt? likewise, with a 3wt, will i be able to cast weighted nymphs or would this be a small dry fly rod?
It really depends on the action of the rod. What action is your 5 wt? A fast action 4 wt and a slow action 4 wt are very different rods. The fast action will seem more like a 5 and the slow action closer to a 3. If I were you, I'd get either a slow action 4 wt or a mid or slow action 3 wt. I use a slow action 4 wt and can cast 3"+ streamers and large bead head nymphs with extra split shot long distances without much trouble. You'll be fine with a 3 wt for this too.

I'd go out and cast a few and see what you think. What rod will suit you will really depend on lot on your personal casting stroke, abilities, and personal preferences.

Aaron Van
12-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Although my current small stream rod is a 5wt,I also own a Orvis siler label 3wt.I do like the silver Label series simply because of the price and still getting the warranty,as far as quality goes,I would put it up against any of my much more costly rods,and it wouldnt be out of place.My only problem with the lower weight rod's is people start to think that smaller water should = smaller rod's.None of my 3',2's, will properly cast a streamer or even weighted nymph's.On the other hand they sure are alot of fun to catch trout on,when the hatch and weather co-operates.
Tight Lines
Aaron

Warren
12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
jlsmithii, I have a Superfine 4 wt Trout Bum and I love it for dry fly fishing on small streams, and it is a blast to catch a 12 to 16 inch trout on.
But my main trout rod that I use in all types of streams is? ......You guessed it, the very same Sage DS2 you have 8'6" 5Wt. I feel the 5wt carries itself well in any situation I have encountered while fly fishing here in the Northeast US. Unless you just want a another rod ( and who doesn't?) why not just use the 5 wt?

jlsmithii
12-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Unless you just want a another rod?
you hit the nail on the head
you can never have too many rods