02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
FYI

Cape tide charts that were hosted on maineharbors are now here:

http://www.boatma.com/tides/tides_capecod.html

Start dreamin and schemeing.

RayStachelek
02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Nice to have 'em back for the Cape.

Rhode Island is back too. Glad they could find other sponsors.

There nice, easy too read, and find information.

flydoc
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Keith has the new link plugged into his website, which is what I usually pull up to get at the tide charts.
Flydoc

jimS
02-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks Fred. I was hoping someone would make them available. They have all the tide, sunriase/sunset and lunar info I need.

Paxton
02-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Speaking of tides.........this may be an interesting day re South Beach....storm central just said that the seas will reach 17 ft and the winds to 60 mph with this storm...surge to be 2 1/2 ft.......that should breach the k and L areas of SB....permanent or not that is the question?????
Phil (Bonefishmon) and I are planning a crusade to "Fishalot" on the first friday that the weather is condusive to doing the death march to the southway. We will need a mid dayish low tide......can't wait to see the changes and hope that at the end of the day, we have smiles on our faces based on what we saw.
Ron

juro
02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
My guess is that the area just to the north of the southway on the South Beach lobe will eventually breach to the sea. Not sure what year, but if so the southway will open to be an unstable "Eastway" for a while until the next change.

Just a guess based on aerials. There is a lot of water and not a lot of land covering that dry flat north of the southway. This could make the crib a major thoroughfare for fish (and boats unfortunately) and isolate the lower end as a 'south island'.

The entire area would be rejuvenated and the summertime fishery would be constant through July.

Anyone got any dynamite? Just kidding Mike.

Penguin
02-12-2006, 11:37 AM
During/After this Nor'Easter, the movement of sand carried down the beach may have done the deed and sealed the deal... :confused:
I suspect, given the strong winds, high tides, and monster surf, there have been some noteworthy wash-overs on Nauset and South Beach... :eek:
Last year the SB cut was all the buzz but it quickly filled in...
Perhaps, when the dust/snow settles, a recon hike will be in order?!

striblue
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Pete, Yes..I agree... this will really do it!...But even without a storm the Southway will be gone. I have an old map at CAC ..100 years ago... all one long island... the small breaks here and there along that streach will be created and fill in... My money is for a big break about a mile to a half mile down south monomoy from the north... Breaks along South beach fill in because of the "dead" Water in the tub...but no dead water in the sound where a break may be sustaianed....for now.

Paxton
02-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Pete, Your great photo certainly illustrates how little is left of the southway opening :-( It certainly seems set up for a closing....I agree with Juro that the area north in really "low land".....a break there would be great as where a break in the k and l area would limit where we could annoy fish with flies.
Either way Pete, thanks for the pic.....now I know why my legs get tired ...it's a hike! :)
Ron

flydoc
02-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Perhaps, when the dust/snow settles, a recon hike will be in order?!Weather permitting, I'm on it this coming weekend....will post pics and details....
Flydoc

juro
02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Most likely just wishful thinking on my part but wouldn't it be nice. The area would form into a series of ridged braids with current with my favorite high humps with the full brunt of the sea twisting it up constantly and creating very exciting angling opportunities sure to lure in the summer resident sand eel eaters into the bright cool shallows right through July.

That darkish low flat would be alive with surging tide activity and be converted into a giant "mecca" albeit it would be short lived before something has to stabilize from it.

That reminds me I wonder if the big girls will be back this year :cool:

Rip Ryder
02-12-2006, 03:45 PM
:eek:
At 1530hrs the snow has let up for now in Harwich and mostly just blowing around.
Wind has been averaging 40s with some gust up to the 50. WBZs doppler was reporting seas of 19-22ft at the shore line of the outer cape. If you go to the Harwich Harbormasters office webpage and click on sound conditions, you will get the life time conditions of Horseshoe shoal thanks to the wind farm people. You can also check out www.iwindsurf.com for the same info and info on other areas.

I am sure we had plenty of washover on southbeach, but any breaks won't last long due to the constant movement of sand from North to South. That is what closed the wash at the K-L area last year. With the amount of water that was moving threw there last year and the loose consistancy of the sand days after the storm, I thought for sure it would open even more. It will be interesting to compare any aerials after the storm, especially if they are taken near low tide and compared to the photos taken over the last two months.

Count me in for any walking recons

Capt Keith

Got Stryper
02-12-2006, 04:15 PM
THe other real question in Chatham inlet? I know that every body is concearned about the south-way, but last I checked (Friday 2/10) the inlet looks like it might be closing in. The south end of naset has turned in toward Chatham. I parked down at the end of HOLWAY st., and it looked like you could throw a baseball to the sand across the way. This was at dead low or close to it. It doesen't look good though. Earlier in the week when it was blowing out, the water is standing sraight up in that channel, because it is so narrow for the deep water channel. It is getting narrower by the day. I know that they won't dredge the south-way due to a non commercial port, but if chatham inlet wants to close there is nothing anyone is going to be able to do about it. the ArmyCor/Engineers won't be able to move a beach. or at least if the beach dosen't want to move. THey were just there last spring. I just figuerd I would metion this just to give a little heads up.

juro
02-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Are you serious? Wow someone take a pic of that please :Eyecrazy:

It was getting narrow but the depth of the channel off the end of Nauset was getting deeper and the half down on the South Beach end was not getting the main flow unlike the previous few yrswhere the bar made the channel follow the southern route.

Since the dredging the water moved fast and hard out to the east as you must know. If the sand has moved west toward Holway that close I can only imagine what that looks like!

striblue
02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Got Stryper, Won"t that "lock" in Chatham Harbor?...No where to go? What is your thinking on that? looking at the walk from the light house along south beach, I can see this as more probable than possible if the cut closes....no access at all points on the compass.

Rip Ryder
02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
"Got Styper" is right, since September the south end of Nauset has move back a few hundred yards. I met Chief Considine of the Chatham Coast Guard station a few weeks ago, and he had photod taken on the same day of each month since then and it is amazing on how much it has moved back. The fishing fleet and the Coasties are having a hard time getting out any less than 2-2.5 hours after low. They are actually getting stuck broad side to the surf just inside the surf line as the run south to north trying to follow the buoys to the old deep channel by Nauset. The powers to be where actually hoping for a big Nor' Easter to open up the new channel forming about 50-75 yards north of South Beach. So if it keeps moving the way it is you will run along south beach and then straight out and no more turning to the north and running broad side to the surf line.
As far as Hollow way st. give it some time there is still a lot of water coming back and forth out of pleasant bay unlike the southway which is one way ( incoming only), so that narrow choppy mess should dig itself out a bit and calm down a little and I'm sure they will be calling for the "Currituck" again for this summer to do it's annual clean up after winter. The towns people (true locals) would have a mutiny, if they ever let that close up and ended the fishing fleet.

Capt Keith

flydoc
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Looking at the area with the help of satellite pics (courtesy of Google Earth), another possible scenario should the inlet start to close would be a cut developing through Nauset to the east of Allen Point. This has been the site of several washovers in the recent past, that are threatening to cut off-road vehicle access to the southern portion of Nauset.
Flydoc

juro
02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
What a tangled web she (mother nature) weaves! I love the wild and unpredictable type :D

Got Stryper
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I just noticed this recently after the couple of good low tides this past week. I check it regularly to figure out the tide to go claming on the north side. The last couple of low tides before the storm we a little lower than usual. That made me go check it out at holway. It looked like there is a bar building up there pretty good. Just a thought. But the southway closes and no longer has a place for all the sediment(sand) to fill in. That creates a lack of flow that happens there. The sand has to go some where. It seems to move in a north to south motion. That is why I think that it might have stated to fill in a Chatham inlet. I have no idea other than that. I will see if I can get a good pic.