Cool Tarpon Video... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cool Tarpon Video...

FLStan
02-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Attached is a link to a cool tarpon video with Andy Mills...Enjoy!!!
http://www.keymedia.biz/movies/chasing_silver.wmv

BigDave
02-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I saw the show on OLN on yesterday. Watching 150# tarpon eat the fly on top and go wild in the air! Very cool...

JimW
02-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I saw that on another site, I'm going out of my mind just thinking about it.
Imagine that in HD :Eyecrazy:

Dble Haul
02-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Gosh, I wanted to give him a hug after all those breakoffs.

That fly-over shot of the school of tarpon was simply awesome. :Eyecrazy:

tight-lines
02-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh My GOD! I need better gear!!!!:whoa:

Dave17
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm becoming a very big fan of Howard films. He has done an excellent special documenting the history of bonefishing on Andros called "In Search of a Rising Tide" if you guys ever see it in the listings on OLN fire up the Tivo because it's a half an hour well spent.

baldmountain
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I finally got to watch the video and all I have to say is, Good Lord! I can see now why those big saltwater reels go for $600. You need 'em. That was frightening. In a cool I want to try that sort of way. :D

baldmountain
02-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm so disappointed. I tried to show this to my daughter and they replaced the video with a 40 second one. :(

juro
02-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Webmasters point of view... can't believe they had it up there that long! Should've downloaded it to your harddrive.

flydoc
02-11-2006, 08:31 PM
It says every Sunday at noon on OLN during February...no TiVo here, so back to the old VCR....:razz:
Flydoc

arubaman
02-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Webmasters point of view... can't believe they had it up there that long! Should've downloaded it to your harddrive.

anyone who did???:frown:

baldmountain
02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
I watched the show this Sunday. I was kind of disappointed. I didn't learn anything about tarpon fishing and the action was kind of weak. The old preview was more fun to watch.

Dble Haul
03-31-2006, 12:57 PM
This film was on OLN last night from 10-11. It wasn't your typical "watch me catch fish" video. Andy took time to discuss fighting strategies (specifically lifting power of the rod), and throughout he and his guide discussed approaches on the flats and highlighted their main fly (green toad, I believe).

I thought it was very well done. Plenty of action for this guy. :)

titleguy
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
I thought it was great. I always have liked Andy's shows anyway. There is a very good article in FF in Saltwaters regarding the toad this issue. I'm tying some for Florida in April, and maybe for the cape clave as well.

webstain
03-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Just downloaded the video...GREAT. Furstration is 99% of Tarpon fishing. But on the video I could observe the following mistakes (wich we all did):confused: :

Drag too tight

Reel wrap up

Light shock tippets

drag tighted during first run

Fish not really given time to swallow (strike comes too fast)

I am talking from experience gained with our local lagoon tarpons that reach the same size and are mostly fished at night under the lights.

on the equipment side : I fish the tarpon with a 10wt 2 pieces 9ft with ghost tip wf10 and a medium arbor reel, so I think a 12wt outfit and 600$ reel surely helps, but is not mandatory. At least not for me.

I use 60 or 80 pounds fluoro tippet for this size of fish with simple but very strong knots, and still manage to get 2 for 10.

During the fight, my rod is flat above the water, and I let the fish swallow by counting to 5 before the strong 90 degree side hookup, then I work the fish down and dirty, but I always, I mean always let the fish finish his first run before I try to do anything.

I have no intention in giving any advice to anybody, I am just trying to share something that works for me.

Tight Lines

Jean Marc

formula1
04-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Andy Mill's breakoffs were interesting but honestly I don't think a too tight drag was one of the causes that I could see. Most top guys I know like to put on a good amount of drag (without breaking off of course) once that run starts and then max pressure. Andy Mill is one of the best tarpon fisherman in the world - he doesn't make many mistakes and I don't think he'd over tighten the drag. You'd be surprised at just how much pressure you can put on a tarpon or any other big fish for that matter without breaking off...just my .02 take it for what it's worth.