gel spun backing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: gel spun backing?

SteelBoneguy
01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
A orvis store by me was going out fo business. So I bought a spool of 45lb w/ 600yds list for $85. I paid like 25ish for it.

For xmas my wife bought me the extra spool for my super 8, so I now have a tarpon outfit. Except no rod :frown: however I'm looking to buy a rod soon :D

Should I keep this backing? Or buy regular SA backing.

The cons I've read: It can cut you quite bad, even though I don't feel I would be putting my hands/fingers near the backing during a running fish. Knot tying trouble. Need to make sure you wind it tight b/c if you don't it will cut down into the spool.

The positives: high capacity backing double the amount of regular backing, keeping your large arbor reel large-- meaning even though a fish takes off a LOT of line you still have a lot of line on the spool resulting in having to reel in less line. Very strong, small diamter cuts through water easier.

Kinda perplexed do I keep it or sell it? :confused:

Eddie
01-31-2006, 10:49 PM
you've got the basic idea. In most cases, with most reels, and most fish, gel spun is not that important, but I don't see to many disadvantages.

juro
01-31-2006, 11:41 PM
I'll give you $25 for it :lildevl:

SteelBoneguy
02-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.

I just relooked my specifications for my abel and it doesn't look like I'm going to be running short on backing. I'm on the market for a 10 wt rod, meaning I'll be lining up w/ a 10 wt line. A 10 wt line leaves me w/ 275 yds w/ normal 30lb backing. I feel this is more than plenty. If I got to fish more often w/ salt water and a better tyer I'd keep the stuff. I still have the shop rig my rods before I leave for a trip.

So I'll be selling the Gel Spun backing, lists at orvis for $85, anyone wants it for $35 w/o shipping let me know. Again this is brand new still in the package.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Juro just add 10 buckaroos and it is yours :)