Herring Flies/Colors [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Herring Flies/Colors

sean
01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
This mild winter has me already thinking big spring herring flies. This will mark my first year being around for the spring herring and was wondering what flies you guys reccomend and what color combos should I be using?

Thanks,

-sean

JimW
01-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Buffies are very good and quite castable. The Sedotti slammers I tied didn't get as much use as I'd have liked last year but I think they have a good action.

The patterns I tie use white on the bottom, pink/purple on the sides and blue and green on top. I imagine flatwings could be very productive in the right situation.
Large decievers will do the trick. I've done well with spun deer hair, just plain old white with a little pink polarflash in the tail.

Penguin
01-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Here are some of my BIG ones...

RayStachelek
02-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Pete,

Like that third pic.......s'.....weet.

titleguy
02-01-2006, 08:39 AM
I tied up some big herring flies last spring for use way up the North River in Pembroke, MA. I used 6/0 circle hooks with puglesi fibres in gray/white, blue/white and chart/white with holographic eyes and a red crystal flash throat.. Basically, they were giant, like 12" long, puglesi bunker flies. The fish hammered them. Also a very durable fly. I tie the same thing in olive/brown/white for use in the Monomoy rips as an eel fly. We "nymph" the rips with 550 grain sink tips, very effective to put it mildly.

JimW
02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Pete,
Is that 3rd one a tube fly?

Penguin
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Jim...#3 is a tube...
Here's another tubular option...fewer colours to deal with and fish like 'em too!;)

Smcdermott
02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Penguin,

Are the tubes more/less/same in terms of their ability to foul? I really like your use of the long hackles that must give a ton of action but I have always been concerned that they would wrap around the hook. Are there any nuances as to how you tie in the materials?

Thanks,

Sean

Penguin
02-01-2006, 10:35 AM
There is a "phramework" of natural bucktail to aid in keeping things in order...
and, since distance is not usually an issue, I'll slow down my casting stroke...
Heavy line...big roll to get things ready and moving in the right direction...semi rehab roundhouse circle cast...mugs away...phwoosh!
When they are in the water the phur 'n pheathers open up and there's movement even when it's not moving... :Eyecrazy:

Penguin
02-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I'll tye these and then leave them to the sun on the dash board to fade out...:eek:
After a few weeks...
The colours will be softer and subtle...
'Same for the longer FlatWings...
Unlike me...They get better with solar exposure :whoa: !