What length do you prefer? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What length do you prefer?

Jon R
01-31-2006, 12:31 AM
I grew up in a household that predominantly bought rods in 9'. My 5 wt, 6 wt, etc. are all 9' long. I know that the extra length helps with mending, etc.

Still, is it always best to go with the longest length offered in your weight catagory?
Which one would you choose for a trout rod?

juro
01-31-2006, 06:51 AM
My prefs are:

8'6" or shorter for small brushy streams

9ft for an all-arounder used in stillwater and medium sized rivers

9'6" for extensive float tube use or large rivers (e.g. steelhead)

Typically it's easier to throw long with a longer rod (that's not too long for your physical limits). This is because of the extended stroke length (path of acceleration). Clearance from a float tube usually calls for a longer rod.

If you fish small brusy streams even 8'6" is not necessary. Bushwacking with a 9ft'er is a lot harder than doing so with a 7'3" LL.

My advice is to think first of the application, then suit that.

teflon_jones
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Crap I voted for the wrong length (8'6 instead of 8'). I like shorter rods than most people I guess. I use my 8' 4 wt for any river fishing I do and my 8'6 for any bass fishing.

juro
01-31-2006, 10:45 AM
This may have something to do with your height. How tall did you say you were?

teflon_jones
01-31-2006, 11:23 AM
This may have something to do with your height. How tall did you say you were?
Me? I'm 6'4. And my arms are long too, I wear 36/37 sleeve dress shirts...

flytyer
01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I didn't vote because the length rod I use for trout is dictated by the size of the stream and whether it is brush covered or open. For small brush lined streams, I prefer a rod of 7'-7'6" simply because it is easier to keep it out of the overhanging branches. However, on large open streams, I prefer a rod of 10' because it makes long casts and line mending much easier. And on the really large rivers like the Missouri in Montana or lakes, an 11' 6 wt is very nice.

Jon R
01-31-2006, 12:51 PM
I am about 6'3" and mainly fish the streams of North Carolina. We have some nice streams, but some rather small ones as well. Native trout (brookies) are usually in the smaller streams where I will be utilizing the a new Winston BIIx 4 wt. that I am pondering the appropriate length.

SteelheadKid
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
13' :) But that is my two-handed spey.

9' Is my preferred length for a single hander. I fish bigger rivers with 8-10wt line for salmon & steelhead.

juro
01-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I am about 6'3" and mainly fish the streams of North Carolina. We have some nice streams, but some rather small ones as well. Native trout (brookies) are usually in the smaller streams where I will be utilizing the a new Winston BIIx 4 wt. that I am pondering the appropriate length.

Sounds like in Teflon hands a 9ft rod is like a 12fter and you're right behind him by an inch!

Small streams and smaller? Go short.