Restaurants Unlimited/Wild Steelhead Coalition [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Restaurants Unlimited/Wild Steelhead Coalition

Leland Miyawaki
01-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Last year, as many of you might remember, Restaurants Unlimited (owners of Cutters, Palisades, Palamino et al.) served "Wild Hoh River Steelhead" on their menus. The Wild Steelhead Coalition sent them a letter protesting their actions. It was obviously too late (it was already on the menus).

This year, the WSC sent a pre-emptive letter. We reminded them of the issues regarding Hoh river and other wild steelhead stocks in Washington. They have agreed and will not purchase wild steelhead from the Hoh and their distributors.

We have just heard that Red Apple Markets may be selling wild steelhead in their stores (keep in mind that may it may be an advertising/labeling gimmick). If any of you are near a Red Apple could you please drop in and ask a few questions. I believe there is one in Sultan and maybe Gold Bar.

Thanks,
Leland.

OC
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I will check the out on Beacon Hill.

nmbrowncom
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
oc, are you in beacon hill as in boston? neal

OC
01-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Neal,

No we have a Beacon Hill in Seattle too. Sort of the same but yet not the same. Nice place to live though and the view of Lake Washington and the entire Cascades Mts is worth a first rate porch to check it all by. Come visit again.

OC
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Checked Red Apple today,(SUNDAY) and no steelhead of anykind. They did have a fresh wild Talapia though.:hihi:

fredaevans
01-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Albertson's in Oregon had 'wild steelhead' for sale about 3'ish years ago. Pointed out (copy of fish and game regulations in hand) to the local store manager that doing so (regardless of point of access) was a MAJOR no-no.:eek:

Fellow borrowed (or rather I gave it over) my game book and said 'thank you.' Next day .. not a sign noting any fish as being 'wild steelhead' to be seen. I checked three area stores and not in one.

None since, and farmed Atlantic Salmon are clearly marked as 'color added.'