what line system? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: what line system?

krilleSWE
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
i have order a g.loomis trout spey 5/6# 13'4" rod and i wonder whitch line system should i go fore!
a normal wf line, a skandinavian shotinghead , or a spey line? in spey line i have no experiens what do you think? somewone as ousing one of these rods?

juro
01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
A few things to think about...

primarily floating line or a need for sinktips?
large rivers or smaller rivers?
strip-retrieve between casts or pure swing?

An easy all-around solution is to pick up the Rio Windcutter 5/6/7 with tips. Short enough to underhand cast but long enough to use more traditional casts as well.

I also like the Hardy Mach I Salmon line in a floating configuration. Single hand rating 8/9 fits my 5wt spey perfectly.

Tell us about your trout spey fishing situation :)

krilleSWE
01-26-2006, 06:39 AM
A few things to think about...

primarily floating line or a need for sinktips?
large rivers or smaller rivers?
strip-retrieve between casts or pure swing?

An easy all-around solution is to pick up the Rio Windcutter 5/6/7 with tips. Short enough to underhand cast but long enough to use more traditional casts as well.

I also like the Hardy Mach I Salmon line in a floating configuration. Single hand rating 8/9 fits my 5wt spey perfectly.

Tell us about your trout spey fishing situation :)

the most of the fishing will be in large/medium rivers thight places to fish from
whit browntrout upp to 13-14 lbs fishing whit floting to intermidient! but one of the rivers i will have to use a sinktip about s3! but a will ouse it to ligher fishing to! some fishing fore sea trout on the cost whit realy clear whater and fishing on 0,5-1,5 m deep water! (this is when it's not mutch wind! whit wind i use my 8#)after i strated to fish salomon i have gone to bee a tho handed freak thats whye i think this rod will be were nice :) so now you now abit more on the fising any new sugestions?

juro
01-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, just my opinion...

Those conditions and fish would have me using a 6/7wt instead of a 5wt for a number of reasons:

- More line choices on the market
- Better control of big fish
- Ability to throw bigger flies
- Dealing with wind
- Easier to achieve distance casts

But it sounds like you've already decided on that rod, so my experiences with 5wt Spey casting is fairly limited to:

Rio 5/6 WC with tips
Hardy Mach I 8/9 Salmon Line
Custom made shooting head lines

Sounds like you have access to Guideline and Vision heads. If you could find a set that matches the grain range of that rod you'd be all set.

In any case good luck with your choice and tell us what you decide to do :)

krilleSWE
01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, just my opinion...

Those conditions and fish would have me using a 6/7wt instead of a 5wt for a number of reasons:

- More line choices on the market
- Better control of big fish
- Ability to throw bigger flies
- Dealing with wind
- Easier to achieve distance casts

But it sounds like you've already decided on that rod, so my experiences with 5wt Spey casting is fairly limited to:

Rio 5/6 WC with tips
Hardy Mach I 8/9 Salmon Line
Custom made shooting head lines

Sounds like you have access to Guideline and Vision heads. If you could find a set that matches the grain range of that rod you'd be all set.

In any case good luck with your choice and tell us what you decide to do :)

the rod it's on it's way to me now it was the best chosise of what was abel here in sweden!

i think it will be to try the Rio 5/6 WC line and a few shooting heads from guideline using whit a 30lb runningline! i dont now if you have any experienx of shootingheds to this rod but if you have what whegit of the shootinghead?( it must be different to cast modern speycasting whit a tho handed rod insted of one handed rod in this rod wegiht!) and how long shootinghead?

juro
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
That's the key - grain weight over length to match rod.

Your best bet is to contact Loomis. Neil Houlding is a Loomis prostaffer in Ontario with experience in casting various Scandinavian style heads on Loomis rods. His handle is speyladdie.

krilleSWE
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
That's the key - grain weight over length to match rod.

Your best bet is to contact Loomis. Neil Houlding is a Loomis prostaffer in Ontario with experience in casting various Scandinavian style heads on Loomis rods. His handle is speyladdie.

ok how do i get in tuch whit him? a mail adress? tanx for the help!