What should I go for? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What should I go for?

Jon R
01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
I am currently looking for the next rod in my lineup (keeping in mind that Salmon fishing in Alaska is my dream).

I currently have a 5 (St. Croix), 6 (Sage), and 8 (Orvis) wt.

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a Winston BIIx of my choosing. I am leaning towards getting a 10 wt., but was wondering if I would need that much.

Would my 8 wt. be good enough for salmon fishing? Should I get another 5 wt. for the trout fishing I usually enjoy?

Thank you in advance for your time

juro
01-25-2006, 06:08 AM
IMHO -

Buy the best for what you do the most. The 8wt will get you through the occasional trips to AK or stripers, bonefish, etc.

If you are a regular trout angler put the high shelf rod into that.

Just my .02

baldmountain
01-25-2006, 07:26 AM
If you are a regular trout angler put the high shelf rod into that.

I'm with Juro. No sense in buying an expensive rod for a dream. (Make the dream come true, THEN buy Salmon the rod. ;) A nice two hander. )

I'd consider the 3 wt or maybe one of the 4 wts as a finesse rod.

krilleSWE
01-25-2006, 09:46 AM
a lighter rod is what my pick should be! i have a sage txl 2# i just to nice to fish whit in realy small streams! a 3# i think should do you well!

FishHawk
01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I own the Winston BIIX 9wt rod and it is a joy to fish. One word of advise , make sure that when you buy the rod that you use the line that is rated for that rod.
For example , use a 9 wt line on the 9wt Winston rod. Reason , Winston really fine tunes their rods. Good luck in your decision. FishHawk

Jon R
01-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Thank you for all your comments. I guess that my 8 wt. will end up being fine for Salmon and Bass.

Since I mainly go for trout, I will probably get another 5 wt. I tried casting the WT, LT, and BIIx today. I think that the BIIx works best for me in a 8'6".

teflon_jones
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Since I mainly go for trout, I will probably get another 5 wt.
Why do you want another 5 wt? Are you unhappy with the one you have?

Sephon
01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Since you mainly fish for trout with this new rod. Why not go for something alittle smaller. I have a Sage 3 weight and I absolutly love it. It gives you total control of the cast and the line. It's not too small that you are going to kill fish fighting them, but it makes a nice fight for small to average sized trout. I think since you already have a 5 weight, which is fine for trout, you would be happy with a smaller rod. Once you catch a trout on a 3 weight, you'll never use anything bigger again.

-Chris

salmo
01-28-2006, 02:56 PM
You have mentioned the you can get a good deal on Winston BIIX.
I have transformed all my single-hand rods stable from Sage to BIIX over the last 2 years.
For trout fishing ( both dry and wet fly ) 9’ at.5 ( 4 pcs) is an ideal rod ( 8’6’’ wt 5 is to stiff for me ).
If you plan to go after native Alaskan Rainbow( and I am not talking about huge ones in Bristol Bay area 30-36”) but rather the fish in more interior part of Alaksa ( 20-29”)
Winston BIIX 9’6” wt.6 is a ticket. It is a fast rods , but not stiff like Sage XP, what let you fish in closed and far away. BIIX 9’ wt.6 is slightly stiffer then 9’6”.

Salmo

Jon R
01-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I was almost sold by a lot of people to get a 4 wt., but I think that I will probably get a 5 wt (although it might cause me to put down my Avid 9' 5 wt). I am sure that I will use both though.

I am not sure about the length yet. Every single one of my rods are 9', but it seems a little too big for the small streams in North Carolina. I find myself casting less and picking up and putting down a lot more. Using streamers is sometimes pointless as well (depending on the stream).

I am wondering whether I should get a rod that has more strengths in a smaller length. Would the BIIx still be the best one for the job in a smaller length?

Or, should I keep going with the 9' and just improve/change my technique?

Thanks in advance.

Jon R
01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Or maybe I WILL get that 4 wt. I just cannot decide anything yet...

salmo
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
For dry fishing and small streamers Winston WT 8'6" wt.4 is a very sweet rod..It has a moderate action and would fit small creeks very well.

Salmo

Jon R
01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah. I liked the WT a lot, but it seemed just a bit too slow for me. I appreciate your recommendation. I will think about it some more.

Right now, I am have pretty much decided on the BIIx 4 wt. 8'6", which I really enjoyed casting.

I just cannot figure out whether to get the graphite green reel seat (which I have not gotten used to yet) or the ol' wood seat.

I am thinking that it defeats the purpose of the lightweight BIIx to get the wood, but it'll take a while to get used to a non-wood real seat.

What do you think?

salmo
01-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Keep in mind that you are using small, light weight rod, so extra weight ( 0.3 oz ) won’t matter, specially if you consider the weight of an entire set-up : reel, rod and fly line.
I use with my BIIx 9’ wt.5 Danielsson LW 2-5 and was never tired after entire day of fishing.

Salmo

Jon R
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Great. Thank you for your ideas. I think that I will get the wood like I wanted. :)

teflon_jones
01-30-2006, 09:33 AM
That sounds like a great choice and it should complement your other rods really well.

Jon R
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Crap, now others are telling that I should go for the 9'.

What do you all think?

teflon_jones
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Don't listen to them! Get the 8'6. You'll thank me when you try and fish some small streams with it and don't get hung up every other cast...