Fantastic New Book on Steelheading!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fantastic New Book on Steelheading!!

tbuehrens
01-24-2006, 03:24 PM
The one we have all been waiting for....i landed two 36 pounders yesterday after reading only the first chapter.
-Tom
http://www.anglersbooksupply.com/book_images/142084119X.jpg

Hyperlink Edited by Admin

chromer
01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah but did you hook them on one hook like he did? :hihi:

OC
01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
After reading the first chapter I too hooked two, 36 pound steelhead on one hook and a pink feather.

KerryS
01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Where the hell have you guys been? This book has been out for months now. After just looking at the book on an internet site I was able to catch 30 lb. Skagit winter runs in the Stilly!!!! Without the use of a sink tip!!!! On a small pink fly!!!!!! In the summer time!!!!! With a real fly rod!!!!! All by myself!!!!!

OC
01-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Tooo funny Kerry, way toooooo funny.:cool:

flytyer
01-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Kerry,

Love it; but Clay probably caught a 30# Skagit winter run on the Clearwater in October with the same little pink fly. He is da man!

pescaphile
01-26-2006, 01:31 AM
Is that really the title? I have no idea who this guy is, but that is so tacky that I'd have to take a look.

Philster
01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Is this book available to us Muggles, or is it strictly available in Diagon Alley?

SteelheadKid
01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Holy bajesus mother of christ...MAGICAL fly fishing? What the hell have I been doing wasting my time with normal fly fishing these past 13 years?

Eric
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey, why doesn't one of you review the book for the rest of us?

Comments so far seem to be dripping venom. What's the reel story?

The book was published last April and is available from the usual suspects. ISBN 142084119X

Cheers,

Eric

Philster
01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey, why doesn't one of you review the book for the rest of us?

Comments so far seem to be dripping venom. What's the reel story?

The book was published last April and is available from the usual suspects. ISBN 142084119X

Cheers,

Eric

Kudos to him for having the balls to self-publish. I'll wait for the paperback, at a used bookstore.

Eric
01-26-2006, 10:37 PM
The book is a paperback, apparently. Eighty pages for $35. Pricey for sure.

Maybe the book will be remaindered and you can pick it up really cheap.

--Eric

fredaevans
01-27-2006, 07:11 AM
The book is a paperback, apparently. Eighty pages for $35. Pricey for sure.

Maybe the book will be remaindered and you can pick it up really cheap.

--Eric

Geeze! $35.00 bucks is over the top for 80'ish pages .. including photos. That said, I know Clay (no contact for several months now) and he can be a 'bit over the top' with his enthiasum (sp?), but I've got to give him credit, he is VERY good with a one hander fly rod.

Fellow really does have the 'knack' at finding/hooking steelhead in low/lower water conditions.
Fred

KerryS
01-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Geeze! $35.00 bucks is over the top for 80'ish pages .. including photos. That said, I know Clay (no contact for several months now) and he can be a 'bit over the top' with his enthiasum (sp?), but I've got to give him credit, he is VERY good with a one hander fly rod.

Fellow really does have the 'knack' at finding/hooking steelhead in low/lower water conditions.
Fred

Fred,

It is not hard to locate and catch hatchery fish in low/lower water conditions. The fact that someone actually wrote a book about it is more amazing to me then catching concentrated brats below the hatchery. Sort of like fishing below the dam on the Rogue. Who really cares?

juro
01-27-2006, 09:51 AM
For those who may not have been privy to the history behind this thread, the author has been known to publicly inflate the potency of certain flies of his design and attest to his own seemingly supernatural fishing prowess in a manner that solicits rebuttal and overshadows any skill he might actually posess.

For all I know he really could be a great catcher of fish, however first-hand I have only witnessed that he is an even better pusher of self-promoting propaganda. Of the most accomplished anglers I have known it's the quietly confident ones that are worthy of the highest respect and admiration.

I do admire his guts, and once again he does have some nice fish pics to show... it must mean he's got something figured out - but perhaps many of us are happy to untangle our own steelheading mysteries, some of us aren't too bad at it either. If there has been one thing we'd learned over our own experiences there is no magic fly, and there is no single technique for all situations in steelheading.

OC
01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Juro,

You put it exactly right, Thanks.

Fred,

Really glad to see you posting again. Welcome back. When you gonna get that guy from Chicago back on here?
Steve.

pescaphile
01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Kudos to him for having the balls to self-publish.

Kudos Indeed. As a self-employed business owner, I can appreciate the uncompensated work, expenses and risks involved in such a venture, regardless of whatever I think the venture itself.

Well put about the magic fly Juro -much like Kush's post on the magic bullet. And tend to agree about the quiet ones. Sort of the angling equivalent of "Walk Softly. And carry a big stick." There are indeed some good fisherman who like to blow their own horns (I have no idea about this writer other than what I've seen here), I just don't care to be around them or listen too much to them -much like in anyone accomplished in any other field.

andre
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Self published from what i've heard there are 25 to 35 copies around. I know there was a book signing here in PDX about a year ago I think that was the initial and only run. Who knows maybe he will bring some to the Sandy Clave and have a signing, as he has brought stuff the past couple years. I haven't read the book, who knows could be right up there with Kelson, Waddington, Jock Scott, Combs, Haig Brown etc.

fredaevans
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Juro,

You put it exactly right, Thanks.

Fred,

Really glad to see you posting again. Welcome back. When you gonna get that guy from Chicago back on here?
Steve.

Hi OC! With the diversion of the two to one to two boards I flat forgot that there was a major section here of personal interest. A link on another board zipped me back. Been having fun reading, and the occational post, ever since.

All that said, I'll shoot Hal an e mail with this link and ask him to 'come home.':) He's still a frequent poster on several boards. Depending upon where (something I don't quite understand) he may use one of (at least that I know of) three log in names.
Fred

E mail sent and profile updated. Quick question: what day of the week are 'we' using? Seems to defalt to a Saturday .. but?

ps: Truth be told I have several of the 'fly in question' ... yet to have a 'take' I was aware of. Go figure?

Charlie
01-31-2006, 07:38 AM
I have been following this thread for some time now and although I have never fished the west coast and therefore don’t have a great deal of input on this board, I finally thought of a unique opportunity that could be derived from it. In the interest of east coast – west coast relationships why don’t we arrange a trade between your superstar steelhead god poser and ours? At the very least it would relieve boredom for a while on both sides.

Our god’s qualifications? He is a great and outspoken advocate of using spey rods to dead drift glo-bugs (chough – sputter – weez!!!! :Eyecrazy: ). A master of the hero picture (you know, when he holds the fish so close to the camera that his fingers look like he could rap them around a 55 gallon drum? :hihi: ) He has used sink tips and heavy brass tube flies in low water conditions up on the Gaspe to snag Atlantic salmon in order to “get pictures for a magazine article he is working on”. (Got this from his very reputable guide who promptly pulled him off the river). And…… And…… And……. Well, many more!

Any way, if you guys are interested please pack your god in a box with sufficient air holes, water and food, and send him… well, somewhere. And we will do the same with ours.

Charlie

juro
01-31-2006, 07:58 AM
:hihi: :chuckle: :lildevl:

KerryS
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
"Finally, scent can be your friend or your enemy. Steelhead are sensitive to concentrations in the water of as little as 3 ppm, many times more sensitive than a bloodhound. They can pick up human scents easily and the scents of sunscreen and other products that find their way onto lures and tackle. Matt recommends using scent to your advantage. Scent is why fisherman using spawn bags are successful. Matt uses Pro-Cure scents to dress his flies for an extra edge. As for the flies, standard tactics are used by Supinski. Glo bugs and all kinds of egg flies work."

The above was found while doing some web searches on super supinski. Sheesh, why not just use a spawn bag? Maybe we are better off with our pink fly god.

OC
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
How about a friendly contest between the two? Say we raise the money to send them steelhead fishing in the far reaches of North Korea. I'm sure they both will catch their share of 40 inch steelhead. Scented Pink Kim Chee fly anyone!

sva01
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Charlie-
Unfortunately, I happen to do the majority of my fishing on the "Eastern Gods" home river. He is a piece of work to say the least. The comment you made about his angling ethics/techniques seem to fall in line with many other stories of his prowess. He seems to be the only guy in Michigan that catches forty pound kings to go along with his numerous twenty-plus pound steelhead that are taken every year.
I know of about three legitimate twenty pound steelhead taken in the whole state of Michigan, over the last five years, but he claims to catch multiples every season.:tsk_tsk:

Charlie
02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I hear you sva01,

I think our great lakes god is worse than their west coast god.

As Grandpa Simpson would say “evil…evil…”. :lildevl: :lildevl: :lildevl:

Charlie

Dble Haul
02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I have been following this thread for some time now and although I have never fished the west coast and therefore don’t have a great deal of input on this board, I finally thought of a unique opportunity that could be derived from it. In the interest of east coast – west coast relationships why don’t we arrange a trade between your superstar steelhead god poser and ours? At the very least it would relieve boredom for a while on both sides.

Our god’s qualifications? He is a great and outspoken advocate of using spey rods to dead drift glo-bugs (chough – sputter – weez!!!! ). A master of the hero picture (you know, when he holds the fish so close to the camera that his fingers look like he could rap them around a 55 gallon drum? ) He has used sink tips and heavy brass tube flies in low water conditions up on the Gaspe to snag Atlantic salmon in order to “get pictures for a magazine article he is working on”. (Got this from his very reputable guide who promptly pulled him off the river). And…… And…… And……. Well, many more!

Any way, if you guys are interested please pack your god in a box with sufficient air holes, water and food, and send him… well, somewhere. And we will do the same with ours.

Charlie

:chuckle: :hihi: :roll:

flytyer
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Perhaps your gl god and our western god ought to join forces and get a TV show out to show all the rest of us what we are doing wrong. They could also start offering steelhead and pacific salmon fly fishing and catching schools to teach everyone how to use their techniques. Of course their school needs to have an appropriate price say $500.00/day/student with not more than 4 students/ class (this to provide more personalized instruction) for all the invaluable information one would receive for participating in such master classes. :lildevl:

Salar-1
02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Charlie
I wonder if the gl god was using an outfitter service in the Gaspe ?:smokin: : Let me check through all those magasine articles from last year Ahhh THERE it is on page --------:eek:
HMMMMM ?
Weight ! (?) it's enought to give one Rubber Legs:tsk_tsk:

OC
02-02-2006, 08:16 PM
There was a wonderful book review of Clay's book on another forum site by a teenager. It may have been the best review ever written on steelhead books. It was on one of those washington fly fishing sites. When a young teen gets it it is a must read.

Eric
02-02-2006, 08:38 PM
O.C.:

I'd like to read this review, but don't know which Forum you're referring to. Without compromising our pledge to avoid specificity, could you supply a couple more hints as to where we might find this piece.

Thanks,

Eric

OC
02-02-2006, 09:40 PM
eric,
Google washington fly fishing. forum in upper right hand corner.

Eric
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Found it. Many thanks.

That is ONE superb book review. That kid has an amazing flare for irony.

Cheers,

Eric

flytyer
02-03-2006, 12:17 PM
OC,

My friend, you know that when a teenager provides a book with a great review that it is a must have, since afterall, a teen always is on top of new developments and open to new things instead of being stuck in the past. That little pink fly must be a wonder along the lines of the unmentionable fly Sinktip found along the river last year another one of our WA State steelhead gods uses.

rich_simms
02-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Does anyone else feel they just wasted some productive time responding to this thread? :roll:

KerryS
02-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else feel they just wasted some productive time responding to this thread? :roll:

Well, maybe. I posted to this thread from work so I guess I wasted some productive time. Its all entertainment to me. Breaks up the day a bit.

fredaevans
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
[COLOR="Black"]"Finally, scent can be your friend or your enemy

The above was found while doing some web searches on super supinski. Sheesh, why not just use a spawn bag? Maybe we are better off with our pink fly god.

Well, fellow has a point - agree or disagree. Haven't 'sported' an after-shave for years. And as odd as it may seem, 'dousing' a fly with a scent is actually quite legal in Oregon ... even in fly only waters. Surprised the heck out of me to read that in the game regs just a few days back.

andre
02-07-2006, 07:52 AM
"Well, fellow has a point - agree or disagree. Haven't 'sported' an after-shave for years. And as odd as it may seem, 'dousing' a fly with a scent is actually quite legal in Oregon ... even in fly only waters. Surprised the heck out of me to read that in the game regs just a few days back."

Fred bite your tonque!

Now we can see what type of sportman you were you didn't practice C&R with your "scent".:hihi:

Thanks for the info, I guess that is a law we need to look at having changed. That is not fly fishing.