Letort fishin report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Letort fishin report

fishboyicu812
01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
This past Saturday I found myself fishing Pennsylvania's Letort Spring Run. The day started with mild temperatures(45-50 degrees) and overcast skies...The perfect conditions for tempting the streams wild browns. Unfortunately the weather quickly changed; air temperatures plummeted 15 degrees and the wind picked up to a respectable 25 knots; any hope of catching a little black stone hatch were quickly erased. Despite this many fish were spotted and just as quickly spooked(a couple were true hogs, easily 24 inches). Although the prescence of fish was high my skills simply were not up to par due to a lack of fishing time as of late. In four hours of crawling, stalking, and maybe even a little crying I hooked nothing. With a crushed ego I quickly made my way to another Pennsylvania trout stream... the Yellow Breeches, knotted on a size 26 midge pupa, and proceeded to hook and land a 15 inch brown on my second drift. Disgusted with my overall performance for the day I immediately loaded the car and headed home promising myself that I will get out on the stream more in the coming months.

flytyer
01-19-2006, 12:36 AM
I have fond memories of fishing both those streams before I left PA and moved west in 1978. The Letort has some of the most difficult fishing I've ever experienced; but it was always worth the effort.

Charlie
01-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I can still remember my first trout on the Letort. Had to sneak around on my hands and knees for about 2 hours to catch him but I finally did…… all 7 inches of him. :hihi:

Charlie.

flytyer
01-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Charlie,

That was why the Letort locals always had patches on the knees of their waders.