Old pattern with a twist [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Old pattern with a twist

Anders
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Might work well!?:)

flysully
01-11-2006, 02:38 PM
That's a beautiful pattern and looks kind of like Popovics' bucktail deceiver only tied with maybe lots of Angel Hair or what? Care to reveal how it's tied? It will catch fish!

Smcdermott
01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Is there are spreader under there? I was thinking a cross between a Striblue Featherbrain and a Jeff Smith Buffy. Looks like it might be a good north shore, MA pattern with the makeral stripe or go with a little olive/purple mixture for the herring runs.

Sean

Anders
01-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Materials:

Hook: Tiemco 811S (or similar)
Tail: 4-8 white hackle feathers tied in like in a standard deciver+some krystal flash in the middle
Sides: one grizzly feather tied in on each side of the hook shank
The front of the fly is tied in the same way as Steve Farrar ties the DNA Baitfish.
For the light coulor I use white/clear flat`n fine mixed with pearl blue & silver Angel hair. For the darker coulor I use light blue flat`n fine mixed with peacock angel hair.
Gills: Red/pearl krystal flash
Eyes: stick on eyes
The head is sealed with epoxy or simiar stuff...

Anders
01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Smcdermott: A spreader? What is that?
The fly is tied for the Norwegian coast. But I`m sure it will do the job elsewere to..

juro
01-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I would very much like to hear about flyfishing on the Norwegian coast (images would also be very interesting) thanks Anders!

Smcdermott
01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Anders,

Here is a link to a thread that discusses spreaders. In this example corsair (E-Z Body) tubing is used but you can also use large crystal chenile or other material. For instance if you want to show the spreader in a squid pattern like Jaime Boyles Red Can Squid etc...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9497&highlight=featherbrain

I thought looking at the profile that you might have used one but it sounds like you used a grouping of feathers to achieve the effect. The spreader will allow you in some cases to achieve that bulk with less material. Bop Popovics hollow flies are another example of a technique that achieves that effect.

Sean