cleaning your cork handle? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cleaning your cork handle?

gimmefish
01-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I got a good deal on a used rod. The cork handle is in good shape, but has turned dark with sweat and dirt. Call me a little weird, but I just wanted to make it look new, even though it won't affect performance. I was thinking of how I could wash it, but I think anything abrasive might damage the cork. I was also thinking about rubbing dilluted bleach on it, but wasn't so sure that was a good idea either. Anyone have any ideas?

juro
01-11-2006, 10:18 AM
One of our former sponsors told me there are two choices - one is to sand it lightly, the other to use paper towels and rubbing alchohol.

Maybe first sand it lightly then use rubbing alchohol (?)

Maybe Bob Meiser could enlighten us on this topic.

Sephon
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I have found that Lava soap will bring back the new cork look. Go easy on it at first, the progress with more pressure until you feel it's good.

-Chris

bluenose
01-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I've cleaned a handle using a pasty mixture of baking soda and water. Used an old toothbrush to scrub it in, then rinsed/wiped it off.

Regards

flyjkol
01-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I usually lightly sand and if I hadn't before I put on a coat of U40 corkseal.

nmbrowncom
01-18-2006, 05:43 AM
acetone works well and fast. i'm told that that is what the manufacturers use when they clean cork parts that have gotten dirty in the manufacturing process. you can get it at any hard ware store or home depot or loews.

salmo
01-23-2006, 10:15 PM
There are 3 simple steps to clean the cork without sanding it.

1) the grease which holds lots of dirt has to be removed by robbing the cork with towel or gentle brush soaked with warm water + dish detergent ( for example 1/3 tea spoon of detergent + 50-60 ml ( 2 oz) of water)
2) wash out the detergent from the cork with worm water
3) brush gently the cork with diluted solution of bleach ( bleach/water 1/5) for about 1-2 minutes. until the cork in white.
4) wash the cork with small amount of aqueous solution sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda + water)
5) wash the cork generously with fresh water and dry with towel.

The handle will look like a new.

striblue
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree with Juro.... I just use rubbing alcohol.... and have never sanded it...but it maybe because I do it each year and the buld up is never that great. But it brings it back without any potential wear down.

Skilly
01-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Scrub Free with bleach works better than Anyting I have ever used. You will just have to try it to believe it. No Sanding just a nice lean rod in a couple of minutes.

Try it you will always have a bottle.

Skilly