Skykomish Stone [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Skykomish Stone

juro
01-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Here is a stonefly I designed to semi-dead drift in the two Snomhomish tribs I used to fish a lot, the Skykomish and the Snoqualmie. The upper reaches of the Skykomish particularly host a large population of black pternarcus that are huge. Basically I would 'swim' it through deeper pools but without a hard swing, and apply tension to have it rise at the end of the swing.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/real_enough/small_dscn1866.jpg
photographs Martin Joergenson

Hook - TMC 700 or 7999 (use bronze for tan/golden stones)
Thread - black danvilles uni 3/0
Tail - black biots tied in flared to either side
Abdomen - black craft leather cord (or plastic)
thorax - black seal dub
wingcase - folded black swiss straw
legs - trimmed black hackle stems tied for joints
antennae - more biots

Kind of a pain to tie but I have caught some of the brightest June fish on this fly. Other patterns later proved effective on a more active swing so they took the place of this one in my wheatley but it holds a special place in my learning curve for summer runs and I will be re-exploring with it in the years to come.

wilson
01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Interesting. I used to swing large golden stones to the earlier running GL kings. Was quite effective on the ones that had been in for more than a few days (and before they became black and nasty) and at least got some reaction out of them. Muddlers worked better for me when the water was right; harder to get down with. If not 'itching' a stone across their path was productive.

I've not tried swinging nymphs on Atlantics yet. I'm always too focused on big, bad streamer style flies and Spey files. I think it was Preston Jennings or DeFoe who was on to nymphs for Salmon decades ago. If I get any sight fishing in this year it may be a good experiment when resorting to the 'throw the box at them' technique.

-Chris

Charlie
01-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Cool fly Juro, :smokin:

Stoneflies have been big medicine in the great lakes and this one looks very cool. I never thought much about swinging them, however. I will have to tie up a few and see how good they work around here.

Charlie.

andre
01-10-2006, 12:26 AM
"swim' it through deeper pools but without a hard swing, and apply tension to have it rise at the end of the swing"

Smells like an indicator fly:hihi:

juro
01-10-2006, 06:48 AM
How would you know about that? :lildevl: