The right Thomas and Thomas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The right Thomas and Thomas

Michigander
01-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Which T&T rod would you recommend for nymph fishing? I would liek it to be a 5 weight.

skeg
01-07-2006, 05:25 PM
M,

It depends on your preferences.
any 5 wt from the forementioned series could serve well for nymphs.
(Horizon, Vector, Helix, LPS)

...but I would go for the Horizon 9' 5wt. :wink:

huibgeselschap
01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
i have a 9'6" helix #5 for the heavy nymfing, the extra length gives me better control over the goldhead 10' below, better mending , casting longer leaders, easier rollcasting, you name it

good luck on your choice

huib geselschap

SSPey
01-07-2006, 09:36 PM
the T&T Helix 5 wt is a spitting image of the Sage SP 5 wt that I use. Medium fast action. The Helix rods get stiffer and heavier in the higher line weights, which is not my preference for nymphs or any freshwater rod for that matter.

The 9' 5 wt Horizon is pretty stiff, the 9 1/2' 5 wt is not. The 9 1/2' is a remarkably different and altogether more user friendly rod. I use several 9' Horizon rods in the salt, but I like to slow it down in rivers. I use the 9 1/2' 6 wt Horizon when chasing a mixed bag of sea run cutts and small steelhead.

skeg
01-08-2006, 04:31 AM
Steve, do you have the Hs2 rods, or the "first generation" Horizons? Is there any noticeable difference?
It is interesting, but I feel (with an Airflo Delta 5/6), that the Horizon(I have the first generation) is more of a "lazy" rod than a Helix. That's why I like it a bit more...I like medium action rods, too. But this quality shines through in the longer rods, for sure.
The Helix IMHO has a bit more of a "modern" feel. - faster recovery, light tip, etc, but the butt is a bit stiff. (I've not casted the 5wt, just 6, 7 and 8 wts)

BLACK FRANCIS
01-08-2006, 07:56 AM
the h2's are all 9' now if you want longer it has to be a helix. the new h2's are pretty fast with the helix being a pretty stiff graphite but a slower taper which bends into the middle with less weight than the h2's. imho a 9.5' 5wt helix would make a killer nymphing rod.

huibgeselschap
01-08-2006, 01:09 PM
the h2's are all 9' now if you want longer it has to be a helix. the new h2's are pretty fast with the helix being a pretty stiff graphite but a slower taper which bends into the middle with less weight than the h2's. imho a 9.5' 5wt helix would make a killer nymphing rod.

it does :biggrin: i use it in rivers up to 10 feet deep/leaders up to 20ft

SSPey
01-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Mine are original Horizons, all built from blanks. I haven't bought a single hander in years, nor tried the newer H2. My friend overlines his HS 905-4 with a 6 wt line to get a lazy feel. The Helix 905-4 feels lazy with a 5 wt. Good lazy!