Are tube flies legal in New Brunswick, Canada [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Are tube flies legal in New Brunswick, Canada

DBenner
01-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi there,

This is my first post on the board, but I have been floating around checking out the site for a little while. Looks like a great place.

I have been looking to change some of the arsenal in my fly box for next year's season, and have been looking at maybe adding tube flies. Are they legal in New Brunswick, Canada? I know that aluminum and copper tubes would be out, you cannot use anything weighted for salmon fishing.

Does anyone know? Has anyone used them here on the Miramichi? What patterns are sucsessful? Where within the DNRE would I go to check?

Thanks,

Dwight

wrke
01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Dwight
I inquired in Feb of last year about aluminum and copper tubes and got a message from them in May that they were still evaluating them and did not recommend using them in the 2005 season. Following is the person I corresponded with.

J. Kristian Moore
Manager, Enforcement Section
Regional Support Services Branch
NB Natural Resources
(506) 453 - 2488
Kristian.Moore@gnb.ca

I didn't ask about plastic because for me it was obvious. There's no added weight. As a matter of fact, of course, they're lighter in weight than any comparable sized normal salmon fly. I've been quite successful with all kinds of tube flies . . . willie gunns, sunray shadows, ally shrimp, waking flies, etc.
Bill

Smolt
01-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I spoke to the NB authorities in December about this very subject. I was told that plastic tubes were legal, but metal tubes were not. I was not, however, quoted chapter and verse in the regulations.

wrke
01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Smolt, you're right. I meant to say I had inquired about aluminum and copper in my post above. I've revised it to read correctly.
Bill

Salar-1
01-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Dwight
If you can't use tubes ,a nice heavy hook is Gamakatsu's O'Shaughnessy.Although it only comes in silver finish.
Cheers