Swap time?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swap time??

Quentin
01-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Yep, it's swap time!

I know there's some interest in another pike fly swap and a spun/stacked hair fly swap. Let's toss around some ideas and see what we can come up with.

Here's one that I thought would be interesting: dragonfly imitations. We could restrict it to adult dragonfly patterns, or allow nymphs and emergers, or maybe do a combo with one set of adult and one set of nymphs/emergers per person.

Q

Wee Hooker
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
How many flies are we talking?
Also FWIW, a general "favorite" swap would be more to my likeing as I don't have a good draggonfly pattern ( but do have a few other secret weapons :lildevl: )

Dble Haul
01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I would also favor a favorite swap.....it could range from a specialty bluegill bug to an oversized musky morsel.

I like the idea. I can't spread myself too thin with swaps this winter, so if I were to join in one this could be it.

Quentin
01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
How many flies are we talking?
Also FWIW, a general "favorite" swap would be more to my likeing as I don't have a good draggonfly pattern ( but do have a few other secret weapons :lildevl: )

A "favorite" swap sounds good to me. It's always nice to get a fly that's someone else's secret weapon!

Number of flies depends on the number of participants. If it's a large swap then we sometimes set a limit. For example, there are ten people but you only have to send six flies, and then you get six flies back. Of course, you could still send ten flies and then you'd get a complete set in return.

More ideas??

Q

Wee Hooker
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Bump bump....

teflon_jones
01-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Let's do a favorite freshwater fly swap. It can be a trout, bass, pike, sunfish, salmon fly, whatever. I'm in for that.

flyjkol
01-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I, also, would be a game for a favorite freshwater swap.

Quentin
01-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Now we're talkin'! Anyone else??

Q

Dble Haul
01-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Since this is the warmwater forum, I say that we have a favorite warmwater fly swap. If a fly has crossover appeal to trout or salmon, so much the better. But my vote is to keep this a warmwater swap.

Majority rules, so let's hear from others.

teflon_jones
01-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Sounds good Mark.

teflon_jones
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Anybody else interested? It looks like this is who we've got so far:
teflon_jones
Quentin
flyjkol
Wee Hooker
Dble Haul

It would be great to have a few more people, or as an alternative all of us could tie 2 different flies each. I say that we leave this open until Jan 31st and if nobody else joins up, let's do the 2 flies each.

SDHflyfisher
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
id be interested ina favorites swap as well

baldmountain
01-19-2006, 06:59 AM
OK, I'm in.

shadfreak
01-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I am in for a swap.
Larry

teflon_jones
01-19-2006, 06:13 PM
We're up to 8 people now! I think we should still close it on Jan 31st or when we hit 10 people, whichever comes first. What do other people think?

Please make sure to post what fly you'll be tying too. I'm tossed up between a sparkle bugger, a marabou streamer, or maybe I'll tie my Teflon's Diver (my version of a Dahlberg diver).

Dble Haul
01-20-2006, 07:37 AM
What fly to tie? I'll have to think about that.....so many favorites.....:lildevl:

baldmountain
01-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Actually I'm thinking about doing 2 flies. This one:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sdavenport/rubber_legged_dragon.htm

and

http://www.danica.com/flytier/ttrexler/picket_pin.htm

They are both easy ties and work pretty well.

SDHflyfisher
01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
sorry guys school just got really busy so i wont have time to tie for a swap

Wee Hooker
01-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Will tie Lefties Bugs myself.

Quentin
01-20-2006, 06:34 PM
meanwhile, I'm still thinkin' :smokin:

Q

Adrian
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
O.K. I'm in. :D

I need to be careful not to over-commit to swaps this season so this will be mine also.

Since 99% of my warmwater fishing is with surface patterns I'll be cooking up something along those lines.

If Jan 31st is cut-off for entries, when do we want to target delivery?

On or after the end of Feb would work for me - what say the rest of the gang?

teflon_jones
01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
If Jan 31st is cut-off for entries, when do we want to target delivery?

On or after the end of Feb would work for me - what say the rest of the gang?
I think the end of Feb sounds good. That gives everybody a month to tie their flies, unless we get one more person to sign up and we decide to cut off the swap entrants at 10. I've already been tying up flies, though I'm still not sure which pattern I'll be sending.

Dble Haul
01-22-2006, 08:04 PM
The end of February works for me. Perhaps I'll even think of what fly to tie between now and then....

Who's the meister?

teflon_jones
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Who's the meister?
I figured it was Quentin since he started the thread, but I'll be happy to do it if he doesn't want to.

shadfreak
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I am confused as to what I am supposed to tie. Ya I know I am easily baffled, fish do it all the time and look how small their brains are.
Larry

Quentin
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I figured it was Quentin since he started the thread, but I'll be happy to do it if he doesn't want to.

It's all yours Scott! I was only trying to get something started, but planned to be meister if nobody else volunteered.

I am confused as to what I am supposed to tie.

Larry, it's a "favorites" swap so I guess you can tie any fly (or flies?) you enjoy using for WWFF.

Q

Adrian
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
O.K. end of Feb is bthe target. Have we decided how many flies to tie yet? I think we standardised on 5 plus 'one for the Meister' in other Swaps?

teflon_jones
01-25-2006, 11:38 PM
We've got 8 people so far:
teflon_jones - streamer and/or woolly bugger
Quentin
flyjkol
Wee Hooker
Dble Haul
Adrian - surface pattern
baldmountain - rubber dragon and/or picket pin (nymph patterns)
shadfreak

We've still got 5 more days before the end of the month for more people to join! Since I've been dubbed meister, I'll set it at 6 flies each. For anybody that hasn't done a swap before, here's the general rules:
1. Flies should be mailed in big sturdy envelopes, or in some sort of plastic box to prevent damage.
2. You need to include a return envelope in the package with your address on it, and the same amount of postage as it cost you to ship the flies to me.
3. Make sure the return envelope is big enough to accomodate the flies you'll be getting back! Remember that you might by tying a small nymph, but since this is a freshwater swap there's a good chance you'll be getting back a popper or two.
4. It'll help if you put your screen name on the envelope you send to me so I can tell whose flies I've gotten.
5. Try to get the flies to me on time! :)
6. Try and include some information about the fly you sent. Tying instructions are great, plus a little info about how you fish it and what fish you've caught with it would be great.

If anybody has any other rules/suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them!

Dble Haul
01-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I'll add a suggestion:

Before anyone sends the flies to Scott, take a pic and put it along with the recipe into the archive of warmwater flies. By doing this, all members (including those not in the swap) can see the flies and tie them if they wish to.

teflon_jones
01-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I'll add a suggestion:

Before anyone sends the flies to Scott, take a pic and put it along with the recipe into the archive of warmwater flies. By doing this, all members (including those not in the swap) can see the flies and tie them if they wish to.
Great idea! If you don't have a digital camera to post pics, I'll can take pics of all the flies too. Just let me know...

Dble Haul
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Okay, I'll tie one of my favorite topwater flies for warmwater, the Madam X. It's already in the archives from a few years back, but I think it's worth doing.

Let the tying begin. :smokin:

worstcaster
01-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm new to the forum, but I'm willing to try. I'll post the fly in the warm water pattern shortly. It's called a stealth bomber (not an original pattern I saw it on OLN).

teflon_jones
01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm new to the forum, but I'm willing to try. I'll post the fly in the warm water pattern shortly. It's called a stealth bomber (not an original pattern I saw it on OLN).
Sounds great! Welcome to the forum! We're now up to 9 people for the swap.

The sign up list is now:
Quentin
flyjkol
Wee Hooker
Dble Haul
Adrian - surface pattern
shadfreak
worstcaster - stealth bomber

baldmountain
01-29-2006, 07:49 AM

I tie them big so they are more like a leach pattern and a fancy wooly bugger than nymph patterns. I'll explain when I post pictures.

teflon_jones
02-01-2006, 09:24 AM
All right the sign-up has closed. Only a few people posted what they'd be tying, so if you haven't yet please do so we don't get all the same kind of fly! :) Please send me 6 flies, and I'll create a random assortment of 6 flies to send back to you.

Quentin
flyjkol - conehead fur smallmouth streamer, (similar to sculpin imitation)
Wee Hooker
Dble Haul - Madam X (see fly tying archive)
Adrian - surface pattern
baldmountain - rubber dragon and/or picket pin (BIG nymph patterns)
shadfreak
worstcaster - stealth bomber

I'll PM you all my address. Just a reminder on some guidelines:
1. Flies should be mailed in big sturdy envelopes, or in some sort of plastic box to prevent damage.
2. You need to include a return envelope in the package with your address on it, and the same amount of postage as it cost you to ship the flies to me.
3. Make sure the return envelope is big enough to accomodate the flies you'll be getting back! Remember that you might by tying a small nymph, but since this is a freshwater swap there's a good chance you'll be getting back a popper or two.
4. It'll help if you put your screen name on the envelope you send to me so I can tell whose flies I've gotten.
5. Try to get the flies to me on time! :)
6. Try and include some information about the fly you sent. Tying instructions are great, plus a little info about how you fish it and what fish you've caught with it would be great.
7. Post a pic of your fly and the tying instructions in the warmwater tying section. For anybody that lacks the ability to upload pics to the web, I'll take pics when I get the flies.

Dble Haul
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
As mentioned above, I'll be tying the Madam X which is already in the archive from a few years ago.

flyjkol
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I'll be tying a conehead fur smallmouth streamer, that looks kinda sorta maybe like a sculpin imitation.

Dble Haul
02-15-2006, 08:11 AM
My flies have been done for a couple of weeks, but I just haven't gotten around to mailing them out yet.

Consider this a bump to thread to remind the other swap participants. :wink:

teflon_jones
02-15-2006, 09:55 AM
My flies have been done for a couple of weeks, but I just haven't gotten around to mailing them out yet.

Consider this a bump to thread to remind the other swap participants. :wink:
I've gotten flies from two people so far, baldmountain and worstcaster. My flies are done and ready to go out. I did two patterns, a streamer and a woolly bugger. I just haven't gotten around to posting the recipes yet... :)

Adrian
02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Late Friday update - done - now just need to get to the post office :)

http://www.avsharp.com/wwcrease.jpg

Warmwater crease fly.

Hook: TMC 8110
Tail: Olive over rootbeer bucktail + two strands of gold holographic flash
Bosdy: Foam folded crease style. Colored w/ pantone pens and followed up with three coats of Loon Hardbody
Eyes: Rattle doll eyes (yup, this one rattles :D )

A little less 'violent' than a regular popper, this has worked well for me in the past.

I fish it on a floating line & long leader. Vary the retrieve and pause style until you find what they want ......

Won't be long until warmer weather and a shot at the bronzebacks

teflon_jones
02-21-2006, 09:22 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

Only a week left before the flies are due! Please make sure to send them off to me this week. I've gotten them from two people so far and I know another person is sending them to me shortly.

flyjkol
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Flies are in the mail as of this afternoon

The actual pattern shall be posted on the fly board....

Wee Hooker
02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Havn't forgotten, it's just that my tying room looks like New Orleanes. I will get them out NLT Saturday .

Quentin
02-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Flies will be packed and mailed tomorrow or Saturday. I'll post the recipe & close-up in the archives.

After seeing the flies that the others have done I'm almost ashamed to submit these, but you asked for favorites and this is the only favorite that I haven't already done for a swap (well, I guess I did do a larger version for a pike fly swap). As plain as they may be, I had one of these tied to my 7wt about 30% of the time last season.

EDIT: Flies are on their way to you Scott.

Q

Dble Haul
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Okay, mine just went into the mail. :)

Wee Hooker
02-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Scott, Mine also went in the Mail early this AM. Given we are a hours drive apart, I'm guessing you'll get them tomorrow/Tues.
Dave

Adrian
02-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Mailed mine last Saturday (18th) so should be there by now. Can't wait to see them all lined up!

teflon_jones
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I've received flies from 6 people. I'm still waiting on them from two of you! I think everybody that posted here saying they sent them has been received. I won't be checking the forum until next week since my home access isn't working and I have to use the slowest dial-up in the world to get to the site, which also means I haven't checked the sign-up list to see who hasn't sent them, but please get me your flies!!! :)

teflon_jones
03-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Just waiting to hear back from shadfreak whether he was going to participate or not, then I'll get the flies back out.

teflon_jones
03-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Looks like shadfreak isn't interested since I haven't heard back from him. I'll see if my wife will send out the flies today.

Wee Hooker
03-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the work, Scott. Having played Swap Miester myself, I can appreciate your efforts!

juro
03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Larry (shadfreak) is a considerate and active long-time member and participates with gusto in a lot of events, so I am sure he is really strapped.

Dble Haul
03-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Do we have a status update for this swap?

Dble Haul
03-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Has anybody received flies from this swap or heard from the meister?

We are well past the due date here and I don't want to see deserving members wait any longer than necessary for either the flies or a swap status update.

Wee Hooker
03-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing here, ( and I'm about 50 mi as the mail truck drives.) Scott did mention he had computer problems but I have not heard anything one way or another. I hope there is nothing more serious tieing him up! in any case, I'm sure there is a good reason for the delay. Given it will be weeks before I can fish them anyway, I'm not worried. ( Just anxious :smile: )

teflon_jones
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Sorry guys, shoot me! I just started a new job last week and was away this past weekend and simply haven't had any time to get to the post office. The envelopes are sitting in a plastic bag hanging on a chair in my kitchen. I asked my wife to ship them out but she hates my fishing habit and wouldn't do it! I promise to get them out this weekend. Sorry again for the delay!!!!!

I could ship most of them without any problem, but a couple of things stopped me. First off, you can't put packages in mailboxes any more, so I can't just drop them off after hours. Thank 9/11 for that. A couple of guys also sent cash instead of stamps so I have to go to the post office and get the price and put the change back in the package instead of dropping them in a mail. Sorry again, I guess I'm a bad meister! :(

Adrian
03-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Scott

Congrats on the new job! I was one of the 'cash nerds' - sorry and don't worry about the change. You can be me a beer sometime :smokin:

teflon_jones
03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Gentlemen,
I cut out of work early today and sent the flies out. I imagine you should all get them within 2 or 3 days. Sorry again for the delay in sending them out! Life just conspired against me, but I'm glad I got them out before fishing season really starts up again. :)

worstcaster
03-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Thank you for your time, being the swap master. It sounds llike you have a lot going on right now.

Wee Hooker
03-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Great, Mine should be here today then! I always feel like a kid waiting at the mailbox on these days.
Thanks again for the SwapMeister efforts.

p.s. If one of these flies turns out to catch that million dollar, world record LMB, I bet your wife would sing a different tune! If it were me, I wouldn't share the $ with her just to teach her a lesson ;)

Good luck with the new job. Hopefully it leaves you plenty of fishing time this season.

baldmountain
03-24-2006, 07:27 AM
My flies arrived today. What an ecclectic mix. I love it. They look really nice and I can hardly wait to try them out. Thanks guys!

Quentin
03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I got mine too :D Great work everybody! Thanks! Extra thanks to Scott for running the swap.

Here's what I got. Can't wait to try 'em out!

Dble Haul
03-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Flies received here too. Quite a mix, and interesting to note that none of them are very large.

Thanks everyone, nice work. :smokin:

Adrian
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Ditto here - nice work everyone!

teflon_jones
03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I still owe somebody a photo of one of the flies to post in the tying instructions. I also need to post the instructions to my two flies. I don't know if everybody else has already posted their instructions...

My two flies are the large yellow one and the black beadhead sparkle bugger. The yellow one is called Big Yellow (and there's a smaller version called Little Yellow) and is a fly of my own invention. I also tie a version using two yellow hackle fibers and some yellow bucktail. It's landed an 18" landlocked salmon, a 4 lb smallmouth, and a 5+ lb largemouth, which I'd say is a pretty good testament to its diversity and effectiveness. I fish it just like any other streamer and I figure that it just pisses off the fish so much that they have to eat it because it's so big, bright, and annoying. The beadhead sparkle bugger is my favorite smallmouth pattern and has also landed a smallmouth in the 4 lb range.

flyjkol
03-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I ended up getting home later last night from a slow and cold evening fishing for stocker rainbows and was happy to get the swap flies in the mail. The entire time opening the package all I could think was great this fly woudve worked or that fly would have been great...... sometimes you just cant win :roll:

Anyways, great looking flies and like most everyone, Im excited to get these flies on the water....

great ties guys...

worstcaster
03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I recieved mine today. With any luck I will get out to north post tomorrow to try them out. :D