Gel Spun "High Capacity" Backing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gel Spun "High Capacity" Backing

Michigander
01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this type of backing? Do you like it? I was thinking of trying the 20 pound Micronite on my Ross Evolution 1.5 so I can use a DT line on it.

Eddie
01-05-2006, 10:32 AM
If you are trying to fit a 5wt. DT line on that reel, it might be a little cramped even with gel. spun backing. I generally don't think that gsp is a good way to put a fatter line on a reel. Maybe a long belly distance taper line would give you the longer belly without having to pull off a ton of backing?
I like gsp backing and if you do a search on this site, you will find TONS of input on the subject.

juro
01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
I've used 50#gelspun to put high bulk lines like the Rio Grandspey or XLT from S/A onto spey reels and didn't have a problem with it when fish ran it into the backing - although I would prefer to have a 30# dacron on the hands and guides of course it allowed me to do what I wanted to do.

I used a large surgeon's loop and put a loop on the back of the line, a wound arbor knot on the spindle.

Eddie makes a good point, we usually use it to compensate where things would normally not fit. It's not the ultimate approach but it is a good work-around.

Michigander
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I decided to go with 12 pound dacron. I was just trying to get 4 weight on there not 5. Which I did not see a problem with. Do you disagree? Reason I ask is maybe you know something about it I have not figured out.

Eddie
01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I think that was the right move. Avoid tippets stronger than 8#.